We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North side...my first impression.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
North side...my first impression.

We arrived Saturday and the heat and humidity felt great. We had a 20 minute stop at Hurleys and Blackbeards on the way to NS. The Retreat unit we have is spacious and the view seems endless. Unpacked and settled on the lanai. After 10 minutes had a conversation with my myself..."Oh my gosh, I think I'm going to feel trapped". I thought the quiet and lack of people and serenity might be unnerving. After 2 hours on the property, on the lanai...glass in hand I was saying "This is the best place ever". Spent all of Sunday at the condo, fell asleep on the beach once or twice. Was absolutely relaxed from head to toe...and hadn't even had a drink until the evening. If ever you wonder if you can stray from the hustle and bustle of 7MB to the peace of the NS...don't wonder. Without a doubt it does a mind and body good. Actually headed to GT today and I dread it. Don't want to leave my point of paradise right now. Or ever. Sue and Matt...I'm getting it.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North side...my first impression.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North side...my first impression.

Have you forgotten what day it is yet?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North side...my first impression.

I make a calendar when I'm down there and mark off the days, because I never know what day it is.

Glad you're having a good time! If you're a walker, I love the early morning walk between Kaibo and Rum Point.

Edited: 23 May 2011, 21:56
PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North side...my first impression.

sherilynn.....you should be a professional writer....I can feel your joy and relaxation and it's MONDAY! Thankyou! That's the feeling we had when we first found the Reef Resort instead of staying at the Westin on 7MB....aaaaahhhhhhh! Pure bliss. :)

Have a great time,

Celine

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
594 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North side...my first impression.

sherilynn: Congratulations - and welcome to the Rum Point / North Side / Cayman Kai aficionados community! I have to warn you though - it is addictive ...

I live and work on the "west side" of the island, which is fine since it's a short drive to work, but when we want to get away to a really peaceful island with a real laid-back Caribbean ambience we head to our vacation home at Rum Point. Really for us at least, it's like going to a different island! We had a great time over there at Easter.

By the way if you snorkel, be sure to check out the snorkeling straight off the beach at the Retreat where you are staying, Head North-NorthWest out in the direction of the reef. There are some very lively coral heads out there, full of all sorts of marine life: fish, lobster, conch, etc. If you get to where the water is about 12 feet deep or so, you've gone a bit too far. Just watch the current though as it can be quite swift toward the West around that point where the Retreat sits.

Also while you're in the area be sure to check out the bioluminescence in "bio cove" (Sand Pointe Cove). Check with Cayman Kayaks at Kaibo to see if they're running a night tour while you are there (it depends on the moon phase). And the Red Sail Sports glassbottom boat trip to Stingray Sandbar, departing from Rum Point dock right next door to the Retreat, is by far the best way to go visit with the 'rays.

And don't miss seeing the starfish on Starfish Beach. Go past the Kaibo and walk all the way to the end of that peninsula (I think they still have a sign up "Ivory Point") and wade along in the shallows from the point all the way back toward Kaibo on the south side of the peninsula. You should soon find a starfish or several just resting on the sandy bottom,

{As you can tell I'm sort of enthusiastic about that whole area ...}

You've discovered the secret. Enjoy it!

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North side...my first impression.

One month from today we'll be on the plane!! Can't wait. We will be staying at North Pointe... I've often wondered how long it would take for me to get bored on a beach, sun, sand, snorkeling... can't wait to find out. I suspect I'll be back on the plane home before the boredom sets in....

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: North side...my first impression.

Hi - What is the difference in climate, beaches, sea state etc. between the north and the south of the island? For permanent living which area is best?

Edited: 13 June 2011, 10:04
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North side...my first impression.

North side is the windward side and the the South side (incl. George Town & most of West Bay) is the leeward side. More amenities on the South side. Seven Mile Beach is on the South side.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: North side...my first impression.

Most folks who come to the island to work will stay close to the amenities and action of George Town and Seven Mile Beach.

If you are thinking of retiring, I would suggest North Side. Very easy to become a member of a close-knit community.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 13:28
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North side...my first impression.

We have had a place smack in the middle of SMB for some years now -- we stayed in that area for dozens of years beforehand. It is perfect for us as we want to be near restaurants, etc., almost every night we go out to dinner with friends etc. We have a second/third floor unit where everything is totally taken care of. This suits us as we are not yet able to be on the island as much as we would like and means our friends don't have to worry about our place (not a ground floor) if bad weather is coming. However, when we retire we will want a house rather than a condo and we will probably be looking away from the SMB area. Our needs will have changed (I will get really huge if we go out to dinner every night then!!!). The North Side will probably be our choice and hopefully the boat will be part of the package so nipping across the NS to get to the SMB area will be a breeze. Best is a relative term. I probably would not choose the East End because the winter can be a bit windy as with all Carib islands. Don't know how often you have been to the island, but I would make several trips and go back to others that may top your list. B'dos was high on ours until we discovered GC, we still went back to B'dos a few times to make sure GC was what we wanted. Can't wait for the retirement dream although it is a shame you have to get older before it happens!!! Good luck.