We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Testudo vs. The Weather

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Testudo vs. The Weather

After a long and arduous training period; comprised of choosing which post about the weather to respond to, which to leave to others, and finally capped-off with an in-depth study of the Magic 8 Ball's algorithms to figure out just how it worked; I felt in the best weather prognosticating condition of my life for this trip to Grand Cayman.

For the following, I intend to keep a running journal of my experiences battling any bad weather encroaching upon Grand Cayman in the name of all those vacationers who deserve a perfect weather getaway. cayCompass weather is the referee for the brawl and its forecasts will determine the winner.

PRE-FIGHT ANTICS: Saturday - With a shopping list a mile long for condo supplies, I was not yet in a position to start the battle. Too much running around, eating Sunshine Grill tacos, returning to the airport to pick up a bag we forgot (duh) and "fixing up" the condo; the weather would have kicked my butt, so better to just posture without jumping straight into the ring. The forecast called for "Periods of sun, a shower or Thunderstorm in the p.m". Didn't see any rain n the PM, but it looked overcast. So far so good.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

ROUND 2 - "Redemption?" - Today's forecast "Cloudy with a couple of showers" started off as predicted. Not a good sign, when the odds makers seem to have it in the bag. How do those bookies do it? Have they cracked the Magic 8 Ball's algorithm?

Well, this pugilistic prognosticator started to feel completely inadequate to the task of making sure all the famous turquoise and other shades of blue of Seven Mile Beach and Rum Point where seen by one and all.

My coach and trainer suggested I try and learn from my mistakes in ROUND 1, as well as changing up my routine to hopefully effect the karma in ROUND 2. So today's the breakfast was a simple English muffin, for a lighter and meaner weather fighter. I took my snorkel first thing in the AM, to calm myself and get focused for the day's battle (North Side Wonderland was a perfect spot, coach even joined me and liked it!).

Positive vibes were emanating as I took my position in the ring (the point of Rum Point) with Cuba Libre's replacing the beer coach said was bloating me and slowing me down. Low and behold, the skies began to clear and there was Sun! The next few segments consisted of lots of bobbing and weaving as Mother Nature threw some clouds out here and there, but my constant jabbing seemed to keep her at bay. Having thoroughly scouted my opponent over the years, I knew that her best stuff usually came from the East like a left hook, possibly followed by a southern uppercut. So all my focus was aimed at those locations in a defensive posture; trying to hold her back from unleashing a flurry of body blows and head shots that could sway the outcome.

Lunchtime arrive and it was an easy decision to leave, but not throw in, the towel. I was so in control of the round it even looked to be sunny over on Seven Mile Beach. As I got up and looked behind me, I was just sober enough to duck, as an ominous wall of dark gray came speeding in from the North! Guess Ol'Mother Nature was unloading it all in an attempt to finish me off early with a cheap blow to the back of the head. At lunch, in micro-burst tempest, Mother Nature wound up and threw a torrential downpour at Rum Point, forcing me up against the lanai screen, holding on for dear life. Chowing down on a Turkey BLT, I was somehow miraculously able to withstand the rear assult and force the sun to return in what felt like a whole hour, but was actually a short 15 minutes later.

The skies now overcast with bits of peekaboo sun here and there, was how the remainder of the round played out. That is until just before the sunset drink bell when the sun reappeared.

Round 2: Thanks to the Russian Judge goes to Testudo.

Bring it Sista! Game on!

Tomorrow's forecast: "Variable clouds, a couple of t-storms"

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

Say hello to your coach T from me!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

Coach says I gotta stop posting immediately following a round, too many typos from being "punch drunk".

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

You versus the elements. Rum and beer need to play their parts. I'm just saying.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

Truth.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

I too am hear rope a doping with the weather gods. Yes sunshine would be better, but still having fun. Did a two tank boat dive this morning with OF which was great, even in the occasional rain. Found Over the Edge for lunch, went back to the rental home, fell asleep in a lounger in the rain. Rain here is kind of nice, definately not a deal killer. But to be honest, we are hoping for some clearer skies soon. Tonight was fun, went on a totally hokey bio bay kayak tour on a beautiful calm no rain night and had a blast. Yes it's hokey, but we loved it, no regrets. Only what is the deal with everything closing down so early? Not a single place we could find was open after 9pm. I'm gonna have to learn to make my own mudslides....

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

"Only what is the deal with everything closing down so early? Not a single place we could find was open after 9pm." Kaibo? Known to close early when completely dead, but reliably open past 9:00.

"Tonight was fun, went on a totally hokey bio bay kayak tour on a beautiful calm no rain night and had a blast. Yes it's hokey, but we loved it, no regrets"

Other than Sting Ray City, this has been one of my most memorable tours. Also, making drinks at "home" saves buku bucks.

Water clarity improved today and thus feeling positive vibes about tomorrow's weather. Fingers crossed...

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

Testudo

So much fun reading your weather reports!

Shelly :-)

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
920 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

From my perch here in the East End Judge's Balcony, so far Testudo has easily won every round from Saturday through Monday. The Weather has thrown some roundhouse cumulonimbus but none have connected.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Testudo vs. The Weather

I am loving this. Reminds me of the chats I had with the Northeast horizon every morning during my visit last month. :)