We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
978 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Got in about 12 noon and the weather was cloudy the rest of the day. Ate a fish taco at Sunshine grill and hated the strong taste of cilantro with the fish. Went to 7MB and was miserably attacked by little fleas that were swarming us. Not to mention the water wasn't as turquois as I was hoping for but I am assuming it will look nicer when the sun is shining down on it. Not sure I can take battling fleas all over us at the beach again. Is this the norm?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

No-see-ums are out at dusk, rarely any other time of day. Try bug spray and a more positive attitude.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

When you see the colors of the water under a shining sun, it will be as beautiful as you hoped.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Pesky insects just seem to enjoy biting some people and not others. Biting midges and no see-ums for me, mosquitoes for my wife. Biting bugs of any kind usually aren't an issue on Seven Mile Beach, but repellent use is good advice if you tend to be the "special of the day".

If the sun ever comes out I think you'll see the color of the sea you expect and any biting bugs disappear.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Usually there is a moz plane that sprays along SMB but apparently this year the little critters are bad with all the rain in the Gulf in general. Had friends that just got back from Cancun where they had torrential rain every day. I am sure things will get better. I like the burgers at SS (I get the kids meal -- the adult one is too big) and the fish tacos (but we do love cilantro). Can they make it without for you -- they are really good and it is a shame for you not to be able to enjoy them! If it helps at all the weather here is truly rotten and the humidity is off the charts. Give me SMB anyday -- even in the humidity I could be in the sea. I do hope it clears up for you!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

I am a mosquito magnet, but so far have only encountered one whom I was pleased to dispatch straight to hell.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Hopefully your impression will change as the days go by. Grand cayman is beautiful.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

You are just tired from the trip - believe me tomorrow will be much better

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Up on the North Side it has been almost mosquito free. Much different than the same time LY when there were hungry swarms chasing you from the beach to the front door even mid-day. The plane buzzed us Saturday night and was harassed by a single skeeter last night at the pool.

But when the buggers like you, repellent applied liberally and often is sometime the only way to go, no matter what others are experiencing.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

karenbaco

Interesting that you mentioned cilantro--because I don't like it either and have been thinking of going to Sunshine Suites for the fish tacos that everyone talks about. The recipe I'm making today has cilantro, which I left out.

Husband and daughter are tasty treats for the little bugs--but I have had a year where they enjoyed my flavor. If you start to feel any, be sure to put repellent on.

Hope the weather improves and that you will end up liking GC as much as we do.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Im here and sadly not impressed so far :(

Or not. There are people like Testudo who did not care for one part of the island but found what he loves on another part. I corresponded with a young woman who was so excited about her first vacation in Grand Cayman with her family. She researched, planned and asked lots of good questions. She was staying at Aqua Bay and I thought that she would love it there. When she returned she said that, for many reasons, Cayman just did not appeal to her and she would not consider returning.

We all stay in different areas and feel it is perfect for us but nothing, even Cayman, is for everyone.

I do hope that your impressions improve, though, so you can enjoy the vacation you have been waiting for.