We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - 6/26-7/3

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - 6/26-7/3

My husband and I spent a wonderful 7 days on the North Side last week. Thanks all the regulars for the information you provided to help make our stay great.

Condo - We stayed at North Pointe #100 - We were on the first floor, right by the pool. The condo was everything we needed, clean, well stocked. The location worked well for us. We enjoyed the pool every day. I celebrated a birthday while there, and the owner conspired with my family to send me a "special" birthday gift.... Thanks Nicole!

Weather - So glad we were there last week. We had sprinkles the first day, drove through a rain cloud for about 5 minutes one day, and it was raining hard as we boarded the plane on our way out (made it easier to leave). Otherwise, it was hot, humid,with a nice mix of clouds. Sorry to hear that the weather is not cooperating this week, but I am enjoying following Testudo's vs the weather posts.

Eats - Thumbs up to: Our very favorite was Tim Buc Tuu on the West End - the homemade Gnocchi is to die for. The staff was so friendly and helpful - Thanks Carmine and Omar - wish this place was closer to the North side. We also very much enjoyed the Driftwood - try the beef pizza. Another favorite was Other the Edge. Thumbs down to Kaibo Beach Bar.

Snorkeling - fantastic! Snorkeled every day, some days 2-3 times. Best sites were the drift from Cayman Kai Public Beach to Rum Point. Swam with a beautiful school of blue tang, and as an added bonus, ran into 2 turtles and a sting ray on the way in. Also enjoyed Rum Point Coral Gardens (biggest lobsters I have ever seen!) and Queens Monument. Thanks Testudo for your snorkel guide!

Beaches - yes, we had to visit seven mile beach, and yes it is beautiful. It was really not busy the days we were there. We made a stop at Barefoot beach to climb the stairs, take pictures and a swim. What a beautiful area. Cemetery beach was also nice.

Driving - not a problem. After the first couple hours, became second nature.

What would we do differently the next time - 1. Not arrive on a Sunday. Would have been much more convenient to arrive on a day that the grocery and liquor stores were open (but we knew this ahead of time, so not a big deal) 2. Exchange our money for CI...for me, too much thinking about CI vs US.

Overall, we had an awesome trip and hope to return soon.....Still dreaming of GC....

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - 6/26-7/3

Thanks for the trip report and glad you had a great visit. Lobsters are still out and about this week as are the Porcupinefish (out from their lairs that is). Look into a Capital One credit card for next trip. No foreign transaction fees and less worry about figuring out pricing.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - 6/26-7/3

Glad you had a good time. Do come back to our 2nd home!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - 6/26-7/3

Thank you - very good information -we will be staying on the North side, starting this Saturday. Will be sure to do our grocery shooping right away!

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - 6/26-7/3

always appreciate an informative trip report with both highs and lows. We all have our great experiences and am so happy our family fell in love with GC as we did! Can't wait for our next trip back to try out all the things people post and share! Thank you to everyone who makes this forum so excellent.

5. Re: Trip report - 6/26-7/3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman