We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sting Ray tour question

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Sting Ray tour question

It likes most of the tour companies have a morning and an afternoon tour - which time would you recommend? We prefer less busy/more interaction.

We are leaning toward Dexter's Fantasea so far since it looks like maximum 20 people. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your assistance.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sting Ray tour question

Check the cruise ship schedule on caymanport.com

Try to plan your trip on a day when there are no ships in port. If the ships are in, plan your tour for the afternoon, after the cruisers have all been and gone.

I have been out with Captain Dexter and it was a nice experience.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sting Ray tour question

We went in the afternoon with Captain Dexter and it was great. Unfortunately, every full day we had on the island there was a boat in port. However, they didn't have time to do the afternoon tour so it was pretty quiet when we got out there.

Level Contributor
3,508 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sting Ray tour question

We went with Capt Dexter last year on an AM trip - no ships in port that day. It was only us and the large Red Sail ship at the sandbar and coral gardens that day.

As stated above, try to pick a day without cruise ships in port. If that cannot be done, go in the afternoon as most ships depart at 3 or 4 pm and cruise passengers will not have time to get back to their ships from an afternoon excursion.

We really enjoyed Capt. Dexter.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sting Ray tour question

Thanks for the info everyone!

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sting Ray tour question

We are going next week and talked to Moby Dick. We could go M, T , W or Th and preferred W because of now ships, however they said they are not offering it on W (presumably due to no ships?). Do other companies offer it when no ships are in, or are they unique?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
545 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sting Ray tour question

We went with Fat Fish Jet Ski Adventure's and they told us that in the afternoon most of the cruise ship people can't go because it is getting too late for them. We had 7 in our group and there were 2 other people there also, it was great. I thought it was a wonderful experience and you'll love it.

Pgh Pa
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sting Ray tour question

Ditto! go on Saturday when the ships are gone. I did the morning with capt Dexter, then had fish tacos at the sunshine grill for lunch!

Pgh Pa
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sting Ray tour question

Capt Dexter goes everyday I think- we went last sat morning

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sting Ray tour question

I agree with the afternoon approach, we went with SunRay Tours when we were there two weeks ago - Mario and Lorenzo are great and the trip was very enjoyable. There were only 8 people on our trip.I

Worcester MA
Level Contributor
23 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sting Ray tour question

We were there last week and went with Cayman Tours. It was wonderful - small boat, not many people and the price was right - $25 for 4 stops! This was our fifth trip to Stingray City and the best tour we've done yet.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman