We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping?

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping?

What are customary tips for boat diving and the jet ski tour? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping?

A good rule of thumb is 10%-20%, just like at a restaurant, dependent upon the level of service.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,646 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping?

On the dive boats it is nice to tip each day. The capt will share the tips with all the crew on the boat that day so if you wait until the end of your diving it is possible that some of the crew you might have been with most often often. don't get to share in the larger weekly or several day tip. We tip a minimum of 20% on the dive boats.

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping?

So, after spending $250.00 on diving, you tip $50.00 retrip? (each time?) also since our jetski tour is $350.00, is a $70.00 tip customary? Seems steep for 3 hours... On top of the $350. Can anyone else divulge $ from personal experience?

Much appreciated, trying to determine how much cash to have on hand.

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping?

So, after spending $250.00 on diving, you tip $50.00 retrip? (each time?) also since our jetski tour is $350.00, is a $70.00 tip customary? Seems steep for 3 hours... On top of the $350. Can anyone else divulge $ from personal experience?

Much appreciated, trying to determine how much cash to have on hand.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping?

It is just like wait staff in the US who work for very low hourly wages and depend on tips. Folks on the dive boats do not earn enough in hourly wages to survive.

Edited: 04 August 2011, 00:20
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping?

We are not divers but we have been on countless snorkeling excursions. The way I see it the crew, for a very low wage, assume full responsibility for our safety both in and out of the water. They are well trained and expert at what they do.

The young man who took us out with Ocean Frontiers showed incredible patience and kindness when I first, was too cold and second, panicked in the water when my purge valve got stuck in the open position. He called to shore to have a shortie brought to me and helped me put it on so I would be warmer. When I was in a panic and couldn't breathe, he calmly lifted me into the boat. We were the only 2 passengers on the boat and gave him a huge and well deserved tip. Needless to say, neither asked nor hinted for nothing extra.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping?

For an $80 US Sting Ray City boat tour I tip $10 to $15, depending on what denominations and combinations of cash on hand.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping?

oops, I meant" anything" extra, not " nothing". Embarassing grammar : (

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping?

Our February Red Sail catamaran trip to Stingray City was comped by the resort, but was normally $40 per head so I tipped $20 for the two of us.

In July I tipped the young man who took me on the $40 Ocean Frontiers snorkel trip $20. He was exceptionally knowledgeable, polite and hardworking, and I felt he deserved it.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,646 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping?

In general we leave 20% each day and often have anywhere from 2 to siix diving. I don't do the math, we do what is fair. In addition on our last day when we go to settle up our bill we bring two cases of beer for the guys. We have been doing this for several years a few times a year. We have done it wherever we go diving. We truly appreciate the time and effort and the knowledge of the DM's who we have been lucky enough to learn from. We tip 20% on a $250 meal, sadly I have never seen a dive bill for only $250 a day!

;) I think everyone has do what they are comfortable with but I think 18% is pretty standard in the service industry here in NY and we apply it to other places. In Austraila as many other places, tips are actually included in the bill as they especially for groups of six or more at restaurants in GC because the staff gets stiffed so often. I just think of the tip as part of the price of the excursion. Having two kids who have worked in the service industry I know how much the tips are needed and appreciated!

In