We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

Washington DC...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

I'll be staying at Morritts mid October but will have a car. Can you please recommend local restaurants with great fresh fish that isn't commercial? Even it it's a whole in the wall with a guy on a grill - I feel that's the true beauty and experience of an island.

I've never been snorkeling - can you recommend how and where to get started on the island?

Lastly - recommendations on a stingray tour company? Traveling with my hubby, parents and a 1 year old.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

On your side of the island you might try Over the Edge, Tukka and Vivien's Kitchen.

There is a lot of snorkeling right near where you are staying. Check out Tuestudo's Snorkel Guide

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

If you are looking for a whole in the wall type place, I would recommend A La Kebab. It's a gyro, kebab and shwarma stand that serves great food. Not really any place to eat once you get it other than park benches, so we took it back to the beach. I love this place more than any other place i ate on the island....and it was the cheapest. They have a location in Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

Do not miss ver the Edge. Appears like a WITW from the road, I was pleasantly surprised with it's "rustic charm", beautiful view, and most importantly their delicious seafood. Did the conch and lobster cayman style.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

Tukka is my favorite. Dined there 2 times week before last. Try the kangaroo.

B.

Clarendon Hills...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

Over The Edge. Go with their 'special' for the day which is usually the freshest seafood they purchased. I thought their ceviche was very good too, although seemingly overlooked in the reviews.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

The marinated conch at Over the Edge is huge--seems like enough for a meal.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

We have been going to Morritts since 2001 and enjoy the East End experience. For restaurants we like similar to other posts Over the Edge- the food is reasonable priced and the views are breathtaking. Davids @ Morritts is another good choice and for causal meals Mimis Dockside Bar, Our last time we discovered The Southside Grill ??? located on the ocean just before The Lighthouse, we enjoyed meeting some locals and grilled snapper - YUM.

For a beginner snorkeler I would recommend Rum Point- the water tends to be calmer as compared to Morritts. There is another snorkeling spot we have not tried out yet called Smiths Cove, located off of 7 mile beach, which is frequented by locals and known to have calm waters.

My husband and I only went once to swim with the Sting Rays, it was not particularly our favorite activity but a once in a lifetime opportunity. Red Sail does have trips from the resort.

Have a great vacation.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

for a beginner snorkling right at Morritts is a good start, try right under the pier, never had a problem with waves because of the reef.

9. Re: Grand Cayman - restaurants and more questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 21:16