We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Can We Go Back?

Norton...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When Can We Go Back?

Got back yesterday from a week at GC; our first vaca like this in many years, so here are our impressions as ‘rookies.’

Stayed at the Marriott, nice room, clean, great service—front desk made calls for us, car rental on site, restaurants were nice but a little pricey, artificial reef right offshore.

Our eating pattern in summer usually involves a light breakfast (in our room), then a late lunch around 2:00 or 3:00, then munchies at night. So we stayed away from the real expensive sit-down dinners. BUT we would recommend any of the places we ate: Coconut Joes, Mecabuca, Breezes, The Wreck and Kaibo Beach at Rum Point, Over the Edge. We had our anniversary dinner at the Lighthouse, highly recommended! We reserved the table on the private balcony.

Dive shops were generally very helpful, friendly staff. My wife dove with Divetech, and it was great; picked her up at the hotel, treated her well, small groups. She did a night dive with Don Foster’s, leader Paul did a great job! The kid at Eden Rock helped us read the map, and pointed out great places to snorkel. The only exception was Divers Down; they displayed an arrogant attitude and acted as though they just couldn’t be bothered. The conversation literally went like this: “Can you tell us where the Cali wreck is?” “Out there (pointing at the water).” In their defense, though, it was closing time, and we had our own snorkeling gear, so we weren’t going to spend any money.

Snorkeling (I don’t dive) was amazing!! We carried our gear with us, and went at least once every day, right from shore. Eden Rock & Devil’s Grotto, Cali wreck, Turtle Reef, Rum Point, Barefoot Beach—every place was different! We used Captain Marvin for Stingray Sandbar and snorkeling tour--very entertaining, excellent service!

I golfed Brittania—greens were about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, but the layout was superb! Every hole was unique, and I used every club in the bag(rental clubs are Titleist AP1--awesome clubs). Richard the cart guy was great—offered to call a cab, even offered to play a round with me next time.

Guided hike on the Mastic Trail was a nice change of pace, Stewart is a very knowledgeable guide.

Driving on the left wasn’t that bad, but I really had to concentrate at intersections! The local drivers were polite, although they tend to tailgate.

What we learned, recommendations for first-time visitors:

1: don’t obsess about money. Vacations are expensive, and GC is even more expensive. We weren’t extravagant, and just enjoyed ourselves. NOTE: check your bill; some places added a 15% gratuity.

2: take the bus! Easier than described. If you’re walking, they’ll beep and pick you up, you don't even need to be at a stop. They'll let you off wherever you want, just ask. $2 CI

3: try not to be an obnoxious tourist—leave the speedo, tank tops, and Hawaiian shirts at home. The culture seems very proper and respectful—not “stuffy” but “classy.” Every conversation begins with "Good morning" or "Good afternoon." Cover up when you leave the beach, and it doesn’t take any more effort to put on a collared shirt than a T-shirt.

4: enjoy yourself!! We're so glad we went, and we can’t wait to go back! Thanks TA community for all your recommendations!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Can We Go Back?

Thanks for the great report. So glad you had a wonderful time.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When Can We Go Back?

You just made my week! Thanks for the trip report. So pleased TA was helpful. And do go back.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Can We Go Back?

What a nice trip report! Each time I read a new report it takes me back to the wonderful time we had and I can hardly wait to go back. Thank you!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When Can We Go Back?

I would comment that I dove with Diver's Down last week and they were amazing. Steve is a great guy.

B.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When Can We Go Back?

Enjoyed your report. We too had our anniversary dinner at the Lighthouse table for two,nice and intimate.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When Can We Go Back?

Nice TR and appreciate the golf critique. We also love the table at the Lighthouse for special occasions. Now if only everyone had your travel attitude...

7. Re: When Can We Go Back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 13:17