We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving certification

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Diving certification

I am planning on getting my husband signed up for a certification program here at home(Illinois). Is there any certain type of certification I need to ask about? If you are certified in US, it is the same as Cayman? He dived twice in Cayman but is not certified

Thanks for any help here.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving certification

The certifications are international. PADI is the most well known here in the States now (BSCA in U.K.) etc. Go on padi.com to look at the options for an "open water certification" which is the first step. If you are planning a trip to someplace warm soon, he can take advantage of padi's great newer plan of doing all the homework online and the skill work and dives on holiday, which means he is not wasting holiday time doing classwork and gets to do his skill work and dives someplace lovely. When we were starting our choice was to do all the classroom stuff and skill work at home and only the dives on holiday -- it was called a referral -- you will find many have done it that way, but the new plan is much better. After you hubby does the OP, a great gift to give him would be the Advanced Course, etc. He can do it all on holiday, little or no classwork -- really enhancing his skills and it is like having private diving. Good luck and come back with questions -- padi.com is a great source of info. Any dive shop can do the cert on the island, just good to give them a head's up before you go so they have an instructor available.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving certification

If you are in Illinois you best bet is to do a referral dive. It is more expensive overall but like retrip said you will do your pool work and classroom work here and then do your 4 open water dives in Cayman in the beautiful ocean instead of the quarry in Kankakee. I am in the Western Suburbs if you need recs on local dive shops PM me.

B.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving certification

Thanks for the great tips!!! I found a place that will do a refferal..

4. Re: Diving certification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:16