We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andys or Marshalls?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Andys or Marshalls?

Both seem to have similar pricing. Is one better than the other? I've never driven on the left side of the road or with right side steering so I'd like to have an automatic just so there is one less thing on my mind (don't have a lot of experience with standards although I can drive one if I have to). I wish it were possible to only rent a car for a few of the days we are there since I'm sure we won't be leaving the resort (The Reef) every single day. But oh well, $200ish isn't bad for the whole week.

Thanks folks! Only 3 more weeks!!!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

No real difference to be contemplate over as far as I am concerned. Get the best price/value.

In all the cars I've rented, I have never had a manual/stick in GC. I have had a few steering wheels on the left (like on the mainland) and determined I much prefer them on the right when driving on the left (when in Rome kinda thing).

Keep in mind, $200 bucks isn't much more than R/T taxi fare would be and the freedom to explore makes up for the balance.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 19:40
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

Yeah I figured I'll take the wheel on the right. Thanks for the response.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

Most of the cars come from the States (although they might be Japanese, etc., ) they are made for the US market. I have lived in and drove in the UK and in the US. The steering wheel thing isn't such a big deal in Grand Cayman. For the most part the drivers are extremely courteous, the roads are not full of hairpin turns and there are really not that many places that you would want to be passing (or need to be passing) another vehicle. It is much much better than driving in StT and many of the big US cities I have been to. Be sensible, follow the rules about roundabouts and you will have no problems.

Never had to request automatic...,I don't know that any of the rental fleets have standards. Happy driving. Totally agree with Testudo on deciding who to use -- go with who has the car that best suits your needs for the price that works for you.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

We have used both companies and have been happy with both. However, I do have to say, I prefer the steering wheel on the left side.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

We use Andy's exclusively so I am biased somewhat. I also heard good things about Marshall's. Never had a problem with Andy's. Well run organization...will do pickup/drop-off too. Since you're new to driving on the "wrong" side of the road...3 things will happen...at first you will look in the wrong direction of oncoming traffic, you will get confused at the roundabouts and you will turn on your wipers instead of the directional. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. We all do.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

Six to one half dozen to the other like everyone else said. I much prefer the steering wheel on the right. Remember the compacts and subcompacts are really, really small. Much smaller than cars in the states.

B.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

Two hundred for the week is pretty good. It usually cost us double that, but we also rent big SUV's for a lot of people and snorkel gear. I have found Andy's is usually our choice and they give you a discount if you've rented there before. Very close just across the street from the airport. Have fun.....and be careful in the "roundabouts".

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

We are biased towards Andy's as well. We have used them for many years and have always been happy with them. The only issue I have with the steering wheel on the left is I use the wipers instead of the blinkers. I know it will happen and I try to keep it in my mind, but it never fails. My wife and I get a laugh out of it and so do any Caymanians in the area :-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
496 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

I'm curious when you are going that you got $200 for the week?!

We will be there the week of New Years and the cheapest I could find for a mid-size was $450 for 8 days. I looked into compact but it was only going to save us about $40 so it wasn't worth it. It seems like they REALLY jack up the prices during the holidays!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Andys or Marshalls?

Prices will vary not only by week but when you make your reservations. We reserved a car in August for our January trip. Same car is now $100 more. Just like with the airlines, it's supply and demand and what the traffic will bear.I always make a reservation as soon as possible and then keep checking back to see if rates go down. The cheapest rental one week with one company might not be the cheapest in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately Christmas/New Year's and a week or two in February around President's Day are the most popular and priciest times to travel so you may not have any luck finding something under $450 but it's worth it to keep checking.