We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from the airport

Cedar Rapids Iowa
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from the airport

How scary is the drive from the airport to Cayman Kai at night? Unfortunately, we arrive at 8:30pm and this is our first time on the island. Driving instructions say 1 hr. Also, any grocery stores on the way?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from the airport

It should take you about 45 minutes---it's not a scary drive, but on the roundabouts you'll just have to be careful to head in the right direction. If you pass your exit, keep going around until you get back to the correct one. Signage has gotten better. Lighting is pretty good even in the remote areas.

Foster's website says that the store in countryside is open until 11pm---otherwise you could hit the Fosters at the near the airport. I personally like to get out of the airport area.

Another option to consider is to rent fromMcCurleys. They pick you up from the airport and will also make a grocery stop and your car will be at your rental location.

Countryside Shopping Village

33 Hirst Rd (Savannah)

SUPERMARKET: 943-5155

Mon - Sat 7am - 11pm

Please visit us at: www.fosters-iga.com or

E-Mail: info@fosters-iga.com

Edited: 04 November 2011, 16:25
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from the airport

I can imagine that it can be a bit unnerving being the first trip and also in the dark. The good news is that if you have half-way decent directions there are a limited number of places to make a wrong turn. Most likely the biggest challenge will be with some of the round-abouts and determining exactly which one of the exits to get off.

There are three grocery stores along the way - Foster's at the Airport, Hurley's at Grand Harbour a few miles farther along and Foster's in Savannah, a few miles still. I'd opt for the airport location since it is right at the airport and will be open unless you have some serious delays. Plus, one less thing to distract from finding your way.

45-60 minutes is about what it takes most folks from the airport

Cedar Rapids Iowa
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from the airport

Thanks for the reassurance...the map looks unnerving!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from the airport

Keep your eyes peeled for signs towards the "Eastern Districts" and know that there are old and new routes ("highways") that ultimately go to the same places.

So if you do happen to get off an early or late exit from the "highway" round-about the road you are now on may still eventually take you to where you want to go.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from the airport

If it were me, I would take caymanshelly's suggestion and have McCurley's pick me up at the airport and take me to the grocery store then out to the rental. I would not want to learn the lay of the land AND get acclimated to driving on the left side of the road at night. I would want a more relaxing beginning to my vacation than that. We know our way around and have still missed a turn and ended up on what felt like a long road to nowhere.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from the airport

Email BA Greene at mccurley@candw.ky

You won't regret it. They also will take you back to the airport at the end of your vacation, eliminating the car return hassle.

7. Re: Drive from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman