We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Hello all,

My husband and I are looking to travel for around 1wk to GC April/May 2012. We are looking for a self catering villa/condo/house on the beach. Not looking for tourist areas but more off the beaten path. If need be will rent a car, but would prefer to be able to walk to grocery/bars/rest. I know nothing about grand caymen and any advice would be wonderful. Looking to spend no more than 1500 total for lodging. Also flying out of either Key West or Miami... thoughts?

Thanks!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Off the beaten path and a plethora of walk-able bars and restaurants is not a common pairing on Grand Cayman. Off the beaten path locations are located on the East End, North Side, Bodden Town and I guess a bit of Northern Seven Mile Beach is stretching the definition. There may be a bar, restaurant or two that are within walking distance, but a car rental is almost a must. $1,500 US can get you a no frills 1 br condo or hotel room,

Florham Park, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Yes i agree with testudo, its going to be hard but not impossible. one possibility is the turtle nest inn in bodden town, but, there's not that much in terms of food choices very close to the the inn (walking distance). it is a well known place to stay (and it rates as one of the highest choices on cayman), you may be able to make the 1500 budget with a car in may as it is just past the high season. there may be some extras associated with the car such as a drivers license and insurance. however, with the car, shopping, restaurants, etc. will be only 5-15 minutes from the inn. go to turtlenestinn.com, there are also 2 bdrm condo's in addition to the 1bdrm inn units. finally, the choice of such a place may fit in with your budget as you'll be able to save a considerable amount on food as places such as the inn condo's or north side or east end condo's will have full kitchens.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

I looked at a few flights on Kayak and it seems like anything out of Key West requires a connection in the states (miami, ft. Lauderdale, houston etc)

So if you're not going to be far from Miami, maybe you should start out there.

Check caymanvacation.com or caymanvacations.com for condos. Most condos are on the beach.

Edited: 08 November 2011, 05:07
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Depending on where you are starting from, also consider flying Cayman Air out of Tampa. Direct flight, great airline.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Cayman Air flies out of Miami as well.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

We went the first week of May this year and we loved every minute of our stay. We stayed at the Anchorage Condo, we stayed in the the garden view room and thought it was great. You can call them directly or look at caymanvacations.com, stay 7 nites get 1 free starting in May. I think the Garden view room is in your budget. The sand on the beach moves around but last May it was wonderful. For us it was an ideal location, we did rent a car. Judy the Manager was very helpful and everyone we met there was nice. We will be going back next May also, have a great visit.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

When I was planning my Spring 2012 trip, I found many condos on the north side of the island in your price range on VRBO during "low season." Each condo has a different definition of "low season" but in general it starts sometime after Easter (and for sure by May 1).

I would check out all the listings on the "North Shore -" and East End:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…grand-cayman

I also have read that some owners are willing to negotiate on the price, but I have no direct experience with this.

Enjoy your trip!

leeds
Level Contributor
105 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Some local car rental options on this site...

driverabroad.com/…CAYMAN_ISLANDS

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Thanks for all the above info, we are looking at staying in one of Beth Roulstones properties. Any info on her 2 bedroom townhouse or the area around it? So far I've only found fantastic reviews!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Caymen in late April/Early May?

Nice residential area. The Roulstones are well respected.