We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

We recently enjoyed our fourth trip to Grand Cayman, staying ten days at the Anchorage. We flew on US Airways from Cleveland through Charlotte on Saturday, November 5th. The line though immigration moved very quickly, and we were at the Budget car rental desk in a matter of minutes. Budget was short-handed and disorganized with computer problems as well, so it took quite a while to get the car. We added the basic insurance plan which was more than the daily rental cost for the car. We finally got out of there and on the road so my husband could try out the windshield wipers at the first intersection, LOL.

After checking into the condo, a ground floor oceanfront unit, we headed to Foster’s in West Bay for groceries. We picked up a rotisserie chicken and side dishes from the warm food bar for our first night’s dinner, along with items for breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the coming days. After that we enjoyed our first walk and evening on the beach.

We had beautiful weather every day with daytime temperatures in the low to mid 80s. Evening temperatures were a bit cooler, so a light sweater came in handy. Our previous trips have been in late July and early August, and we noticed that November seemed breezier and less humid than the summer months. We observed the beach had changed some from our visit last year. The drop to the water is steeper, but the entry to the water seemed sandier and less rocky than before. The water was a bit cloudy the first day or so, but cleared up nicely. As we walked to the south, there was a lot of seaweed washing up over the iron shore before Tiki Beach for a few days, but that also improved as the days went by.

In addition to relaxing on the beach we enjoyed some other activities. On Monday evening we took the Red Sail sunset cruise. On Wednesday we took a drive around the island stopping in Georgetown to browse in the shops; Pure Art for a Caymanite starfish charm; Smith Barcadere for a look around; Over the Edge for lunch; Rum Point; starfish beach; and finally Kaibo Beach Bar and Grill for a mudslide. On the way back to Seven Mile Beach we saw lots of Christmas lights going up in the round abouts. On Thursday we did the reef snorkel and sting ray sandbar trip with Red Sail Sports. The waters seemed rougher than on our previous summer visits. Later that evening we headed into Georgetown for the Steel Pan competition, which was a kick-off activity for Pirate’s Week. Watching and listening to the bands was wonderful! Friday evening we watched fireworks from the beach at the condo. On Saturday we headed into a very crowded Georgetown for the pirate’s landing and parade. It was lots of fun to see whole families of pirates, some in very elaborate attire. As we headed back to our car after dark, we got a bit lost, and a very kind local lady went out of her way to help us find it. On the way back to the condo we stopped at Camana Bay and realized there were more shops and restaurants open than last year.

We had good meals at a variety of places. We enjoyed an Italian meal at Casanova’s; a chicken and potato pizza at XQ’s; burgers, salads and tacos at Sunshine Grill; jerk chicken at Alfresco; a steak sandwich and local fish dish at Over the Edge; crispy mango shrimp, stuffed grouper, and sticky toffee pudding at Calypso Grill.

All too soon it was time to head home. The boarding process for our flight to Charlotte began a little late, then once we boarded there was a bit of a wait for everyone to get their luggage stowed in the crowded overhead bins. Many of the larger items had to be off-loaded and checked. A bride was aghast at having to stuff her wedding gown in as best she could after the flight attendant told her to get moving because the plane had to take off. After landing in Charlotte we got through customs, rechecked our bags, went through a lengthy wait at security, picked up junk food at Burger King, and thankfully made it to our gate in time for the flight to Cleveland.

We are already making a list of things we want to do on our next trip to Grand Cayman, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Thanks for the nice report, sounds as if you had an enjoyable time.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

What a fun report! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Happy to hear you had another great visit. Time for us to plan for next year!

Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Thank you to the destination experts and regular posters on this forum. I learn a lot lurking here almost every day!

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Enjoyed the trip report, thanks for posting! Funny about the windshield wipers...think most everyone does that on their first trip...or their 40th. :) My hubby finally stopped going out the entrances to places years ago but that windshield wiper thing still makes an appearance every now and then.

Didn't you love the Red Sail sunset cruise? I just think it's pure bliss and I all but run to lay on that net!

I used to very happily live in Cleveland......Cayman looks just the same, doesn't it? Hardly seems worthwhile to go. :)

Welcome home,

Celine

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

I avoid the windshield wiper thing by sticking with left-hand drive.

Great report! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, which of course is always the goal.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

You made me so excited for the next trip!!!! Sounds like you had a great time -- although I realize pictures can be deceiving -- that looks like a really huge cat!

Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Thank you for your update, we will be going mid December, staying at The Reef and are very excited.

It looks like we will have to book the Red Sail Sunset cruise since I have seen it mentioned many times.

When we return I will post an update.

Karen

Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

Karen, you will love the sunset cruise. We have done it on each of our trips and it is always enjoyable. Have a wonderful vacation! I look forward to your trip report.

Celine, I liked your comparison of Cleveland to Grand Cayman. It made me laugh today when it was cold, gray, and raining all day :-) It was great to escape for part of November.

Retrip, HugeCat is actually my 15 pound Maine Coon, Anna. She is a big, fluffy girl.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report November 5-15, 2011

p59teitel......silly boy...we've had left and right hand drive and those pesky windshield wipers make an appearance no matter. :)

Karen......good decision booking the Red Sail sunset cruise! Don't forget to also book the Barefoot man dinner/show!

HugeCat.......we also have two Maine Coon cat siblings, Bingley and Darcy (big Jane Austen fan) but yours beats ours in the weight dept. Glad you weren't offended by the Cleveland comment....really did love it there...worked for American Greetings and lived along the lake for a time. :)

Celine