We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

We will be in GC the first week of January. (Mom, Dad, 4 college kids). We can get a great beachfront condo in East End or a smaller condo in 7 Mile Beach. We will be renting a car but considering the age of the kids would we be better off with 7 Mile because they could have more opportunities to walk to different activities or are there options available on East End that they would have just as much fun at? This is our first trip to GC. Thank you!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

I would favor 7MB with college-age kids -- they would have access to the bus that goes up and down to Georgetown, as well as walking. The East End is great for relaxing, snorkeling, and family time, but has a lot less available in different activities, movies (none), restaurants, etc. (As a mid-60's person who doesn't even go out at night much anymore, I'd be reluctant to spend a full week on the East side, unless I was also spending a week on the west). It is fun to visit the East side sights and beaches for a day or two.

savannah
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

Hello-

Just got back from doing 10 days (3 on EE) and 7 on SMB. During January, as we did in November, you are likely to get heavy easterly/northernly winds. It was a different world between EE and SMB. During spring, summer I would more consider EE, again.

Based on waht you describe, I would go to SMB. There will likely be heavy surf on EE and as you mention, SMB will be more active for the college kids.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

I agree with what Peony said....We stayed on EE once at Christmas break.....too windy and a bit cooler with that breeze. I would definately recommend 7MB for that reason and for more things to do. Some things that are available on 7MB is the long beach that is great to walk and plenty of restaurants and shops. We love 7MB but always take one day to drive to Rum Point. It is a fun day to spend on the other side and a great way to see the island.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
739 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

There will be more things to do on Seven Mile Beach for college age kids. The kids probably would not want to hang out with their parents for the entire trip.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

My kids are now 22 and 25 and consider GC a second home (one actually lives there now). We choose a place along SMB because of the kids. Going forward we may trade in for something away from that area, but it was wonderful when our kids were growing up and went down with friends etc. I have a condo on Britannia Canal with access to the central part of SMB. Our pool is most often empty by the condo and when we sit on the balcony in the afternoon/evening reading, relaxing we basically hear the parrots and the occasional boat on the canal. Granted we are not physically on the beach, but as we don't live there we didn't want the worry during storms etc. Before we purchased, I did stay at Lacovia, etc., and never felt hemmed in by crowds (I don't like crowds). At some of the hotels you will find the chairs all set up next to each etc., but at the condos, crowds are not a problem at all!

Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

Thank you everyone! I'll plan on Seven Mile Beach IF I can find a last minute condo. Thanks again. Great TA suggestions saves another trip.

7. Re: East End or 7 Mile Beach Condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman