We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help with my planning

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help with my planning

We are arriving on a cruise, and want to do the stingrays, starfish and spend time on the beach. If we could get to Hell that would be a bonus. The problem is that we do not dock until 1---in port 12-7. I am having a hard time finding tour operators who can accomodate us in the afternoon. Any suggestions? Could we do a tour on our own?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,056 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help with my planning

Given that my auntie operates one of the gift shops in Hell, I'm sure she would pinch me for saying this but, if you only have a few hours in port, skip it.

After taking into account the hours needed to get of and back on to you ship, you've got about 4 hours of sightseeing max. You might consider looking into private or semi-private charters to Stingray City. Someone that can scoop you up, whisk you to Governor's Harbour, and then take you out to the Stingray City Sandbar. If you're looking for a once in a lifetime experience, then this is it.

For something more relaxing, take a taxi (or a bus) to the 7-Mile Public Beach. If you want chairs, food, drinks (and if Jetskis are something that appeal to you) then head to the right. If white sand, turquoise water and peace and quite are more your style, then make a left and walk about 100 yards or so until you find a nice quite spot to enjoy a beautiful day at the beach.

I wouldn't try to do both with your limited time frame.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help with my planning

Are there no excursions offer through your cruise line? If so, that would be the way to go.

Don't try to get to Hell, not worth the time. The beach where starfish are sometimes found is about a 45 minute ride from the port, no concessions available, no public transportation or cabs available there and sometimes, no starfish. You might find a tour that includes a stop there but I wouldn't recommend you try to get there on your own. A cab would be very expensive.

It's worth trying to get to the Stingray Sandbar and you can only get there on a boat trip. Which operators have you contacted? There are operators advertising their tours and courting patrons right at the port for the morning arrrivals and I would think that some would be available for an afternoon arrival, as well. Cayman is trying to improve the experience for cruisers, I would doubt that a ship would arrive in the afternoon and there be no excursions available for it's passengers.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 19:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help with my planning

Thanks...anyone with any suggestions for afternoon tours please let me know...I contacted a few and they are either booked up or no afternoon.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help with my planning

RedSail has a 1:45 PM Sting Ray Sand Bar trip that leaves from SafeHaven, near Seven Mile Beach. You'd be back at port by around 5:30. As advised above, a private charter is another option.

Naperville
Level Contributor
585 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help with my planning

How about MarineLand Tours, they do a 2:30 to 5pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

http://www.marinelandtours.com/schedule.php

Naperville
Level Contributor
585 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help with my planning

And Stingray Sailing does afternoons although I don't know what days.

www.stingraysailing.com/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help with my planning

Thanks..I will check these out

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,976 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help with my planning

Thanks..we just hired Seven Seas for a private charter. Shaun emailed us and will be able to pick us up at the port and do the 3 stops we are interested in seeing. The boards have positive reviews so we are giving it a chance. I am looking forward to it and will post a review when we get back.

Utah
Level Contributor
542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help with my planning

Just got back from a charter with Captain Shaun(Seven Seas Charters), very professional and the trip was awsome!

Edited: 05 March 2012, 14:32
10. Re: Please Help with my planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:30