We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temps

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Topic
Water temps

Hello, what is the best place to find accurate water temps around Grand Cayman? We are debating whether we should bring wetsuits or not. Thnak you!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,566 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temps

www.divecayman.ky/divemaster/weather.aspx

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temps

Keep in mind that the air temp can also have an affect on whether you're cold or not. If it's windy you can become cold even if the water seems fairly warm. We were in GC last week and found the water temperature generally fine, but did encounter some colder water pockets when at Smith's Cove snorkeling. It was also a bit windy so it got a little cool. Some people wore wet suits, most didn't.

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temps

Not sure when you're going, but I was just there all last week and the water was 81 degrees on my dive computer. Most everyone I saw had on a shorty, though a couple of the dive masters/instructors had a full wet suit on.

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temps

Thanks for the info! We will be there in two weeks - so excited! We will bring our short suits if anything:)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temps

I would definitely bring shorties. In all the dives I have done on GC I usually wear a 3MM full. In the summer I wear a shortie. I have never been hot.

Even though the water is warm it is still significantly below your body temp and when you do multiple dives in a day you still get cold. My son who is very skinny wears a 5mm full all the time. A lot of the dive masters who do multiple dives over multiple days wear lots of neoprene. I have seen them in 7mm plus a hood because they just never warm up.

Everyone is different and you will see people including some DMs wear just a swim suit and a rash guard. My thought is that it is better to be warm than cold as you can always let a little water in your suit to cool down. YMMV.

B.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water temps

Everyone is different. I never wear anything at GC. But I dont do more than one 2 tank trip a day. I have my own natural layer of insulation I guess. Also helps that usually we go in June. I dont remember any of the DM's last year wearing anything either to be honest. Maybe a shortie here and there.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 18:30
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water temps

My kids just wear rash guards although they have shorties, my husband wears a shortie, and I wear skin. When we used to do three tanks a day over a couple of weeks, I did feel cold at the end of the second week as core body temps go down. The reason you see the DM's working on the island in full suits with hoods, vests, etc., is because they dive so much they lose core body heat and don't have a chance to lie around soaking up the sun later in the day. You should be absolutely fine shorties. When we dive on a rainy or cloudy day we bring wind breakers on the boat that are particularly wonderful in between dives. You warm up really fast and there are often other jealous divers on the boat. We have been known to share!! Most of the guys/gals we dive with do wear suits, I just brought down a Bare 3mm for a guy who is in the water almost every day. It was like he won the lottery and he started diving on rigs in Canada so he knows about cold!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water temps

Grand Cayman is the only place I've been comfortable in a 3mm -- we sometimes go in Aug/Sept when the water is still about 84 - 86 (my computer reads a bit higher than hubby's). For 4 or 5 dives/day, I usually change to a 5 mm even for that water temp, plus beanie. However, I like the protection, too. I got a couple of painful jellyfish stings while getting certified, and that early memory has swayed me to more, rather than less, protection ever since.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water temps

I always wear a full suit for protection if nothing else. In the summertime I wear a 1mm. When I was there in December and early January I wore a 3mm semi-dry. Temps were running between 78 and 81. If temps are down around 78 consistently when I'm back in February I'll be switching to a 5mm. I don't like to rush my dives due to being cold. :-)

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water temps

The temps are generally below 80 this time of year and we wear 5mm because we do multiple dives. I couldn't consider a shorty this time of the year but I'm little and lose alot of heat.