We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

Staying in a condo for over a week in March. When I spoke to the condo owner to ask if there are things like beach towels, detergent, cooking oil, etc. he was like - should be, but those things may walk away. Okay, sounds like I maybe going to the store a lot! If I have room in my suitcase, I'd like to pack a few items for the condo stay.

Husband thinks that's ridiculous and can go to the store, but if I have room in my suitcase why not?

**What are your must haves to pack/bring for a comfortable stay in a condo?** (i know feedback will vary based on individual situations, but still would like to get ideas!).

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

The only things I pack are individual packets of Tide , some fabric softener sheets and one brick of coffee so I can make a pot before I go to the store. Check what was left behind in the condo before you buy anything. There is nothing I need that I can't find in the grocery store in Cayman and would never bother to bring food.

Boston...
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

I like the Tide suggestion and some coffee too (i can imagine forgetting to buy that at the store, and being cranky in the morning). I know this may sound odd...thinking about bringing some sheets of foil for BBQ/steaming fish.

Thanks everyone for your tips/suggestions..keep the ideas coming.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
584 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

Listen to your husband. Wait til you get there, check out whats there and buy anything thats not there that you feel you need. Then leave it for the next visitors.

The grocery stores have anything and everything you will need.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

Im with you....I dont mind bringing some things when I have room in my suitcase. I have brought snacks such as pop tarts, cereal bars, bag of chocalates,crystal light. I have also brought paper plates and different size baggies. My husband thinks we can buy it all there too but I like bringing some of the things with me.

We just bought a condo in the past year so I have learned about some of our things "walking away". There is just no way an owner knows what will still be there when they arrive. I have "lost" lots of spices in a years time.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

I always pack 4 or 5 kitchen trash bags, dishwasher tablets (1 for each day), large ziplock bags to keep snacks fresh once they are opened. Why buy an entire box of things when you are only going to use a few. Sometimes those things are there, sometimes not. Just depends on what other have left behind. We've always had beach towels (including extras) and laundry soap. The maid comes everyday (except Sunday) to tidy up and wash bath & kitchen towels.

We take coffee, granola & nutrigrain bars. Sweetner & powdered coffee creamer, crystal light, and small amounts of spices that I know I will need.

We only do carry-on now so we have really cut back on the amount of food we take.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 05:34
New Hope...
Level Contributor
752 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

I usually pack shampoo. A few granola bars for the trip. Sunscreen, it is expensive in Grand Cayman. That's about all, hauling heavy luggage is not fun.We go to the condo to check what they have. Usually, I am pleasantly surprised because many of the condos already have dishwasher and laundry detergent. Beach towels and soap are always there. Some condo owners even provide coffee.

After we unpack we head to the supermarket and get whatever food we need. The supermarkets have everything you need.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

All of the suggestions are good and each person knows what works for them. We've never rented a condo where dish washing liquid and detergent for the dishwasher (if there is one) haven't been provided. Some places will simply provide a starter pack of things like paper towels. Once they're gone you need to replenish on your own. Others will replenish but this may all depend on how frequently you have housekeeping services provided. Some places do it daily, some mid-week, and if it's a privately owned unit, you may not get any during your stay (the unit will just be cleaned and stocked between rentals). I'd check to see what the housekeeping schedule is, which will help you decide what you may need to buy/bring to get you thru your stay.

Reynolds makes pre-cut sheets of foil and these can often be found in the $ stores. I like them for wrapping sandwiches, covering leftovers, lining pans etc. I usually bring a sponge with a scrubby side as I've found not all places will have these (some places only provide a dish cloth) and it comes in handy for cleaning pots & pans.

Basically we bring things that we wouldn't use a whole container of, like tea bags, and the baggie assortment. However, since GC has very well stocked supermarkets, we don't get carried away with bringing things. I would also ask the owner if the housekeeping staff is instructed to throw out any left-over food before the next tenant arrives. In some places this is standard procedure (particularly in timeshare units), where in others food can be left. Personally I'm a little leery about using food left by others. Most times there's no way of knowing how long something may have been there. I'd rather buy my own and know they'll be no problems but that's just me.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

Does the unit you are renting have maid service? If so paper towels, toilet paper, dishwashing, etc., will be replinished when they come. The only thing food related left in our condo is salt and pepper and coffe filters. Whatever perishables we bring are removed by the lady who cleans. She does this so the cabinets and fridge are clean for new guests. (Sorry garabage bags are also provided as is soap, shampoo and conditioner). I like the idea of bringing zip locks, Purex now sells washer/dryer sheets that might be more convenient if you really want to bring your own, however a small box of detergent soap will probably last a week if you do your beachwear daily (we do I hate damp smelly clothes). If you have a brand of coffee/tea that you love bring it. Otherwise the grocery stores are better stocked than stores here and are very modern and clean. I actually pick up spices and other hot sauces, chutneys and products I cannot get here and bring the home with me!!! Some the goodies in the baking aisle are simply wonderful compared to what is here.

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

We bring our favorite brand of coffee because the brands are limited on GC. Also the spices that we'll need. And don't assume that an OTC med will be there.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
422 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo Preparations - what do you like to bring?

We've never rented a condo in Cayman that did not have beach towels, bath towels and kitchen towels provided. Likewise, most provide dishwasher soap and dish soap, and a roll of paper towels in the kitchen. Most provide a starter supply of bath soap, shampoo and lotion, similar to what you'd receive in a hotel room. Many have a small, one use box of detergent for the washing machine.

I used to bring a disposable set of salt and pepper, but the last few times in condos, we've found that there, likely left by the last guest. Coffee filters to fit the coffee maker are almost always provided, also.

The main things I bring are a few ziploc bags, as they cost much less here and take almost no space in your suitcase. I bring a few one use packets of detergent as I do like to keep up with washing clothes, and then we don't have to pack so much. I also throw in a few dishwasher detergent tablets just in case it is not provided or we run out. If we need additional paper towels or other items mentioned above, the stores there are well stocked.

Since I bring a rolling duffle with my son's scuba gear and our snorkel gear, I fill the rest of it with some non-perishable food items just to save a little money during the week. Examples of what I might bring are a small jar of peanut or almond butter, a ziploc of sugar packets for tea and coffee, some tuna in foil pouches, 2 or 3 individual pot sizes of coffee and a small box of my favorite morning tea, a small plastic bottle of mustard and mayonnaise, small packets of nuts, protein and/or snack bars, and any additional spices in plastic bottles that I might need for meals during the week. Foodwise, what I bring is largely dependent on how much room I have left in the bags I already intended to bring.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman