We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steel drums?

Westford...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Steel drums?

We're in GC this week. Where can we see a live steel drum band? Anywhere from Georgetown to West Bay...

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Steel drums?

"If you have a concierge where you are staying, they will probably be able to locate for you if indeed they are playing at different venues"

Pretty much thought this answered the question flat out. Only wanted to point out that it might not happen as it is like asking for Irish step dancing in Italy and if this was something really important to the holiday, it might not be available. While my response may have been more than the OP wanted, I did think the reply was a slap in the face and was more than a little harsh under the circumstances of what this forum is. No worries you reap what you sow. Hope they find the steel pans and find the advice they seek in a manner acceptable to what want. Sorry I fell short.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Steel drums?

Did you contact Treasure Island Resort?

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Steel drums?

You're right, and by keeping the forums friendly and a continued great resource, one should not be making rude retorts to someone who did take the time to answer your question by telling you to ask concierge and explained why you may not find many venues offering steel drums on the island. And many others often do chime in when they have an additional answer to your question even though the first answer may not have been the one you wanted to hear. I'm certainly not going to "bite the hand that feeds me", so to speak, when I rely destinations experts and others familiar with the island to provide me with helpful information when planning my vacation.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Steel drums?

I actually learned something cause I never knew that about steel drums, so thank you for that Retrip.

15. Re: Steel drums?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 March 2012, 18:05
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Steel drums?

Yes, I learned a few things as well. What would you say is the most popular/cultural type of music in GC? Is it common to catch reggae acts, or is jazz more popular? I think most people, associate the steel drums and reggae with the Caribbean. Having been to a few different islands I know the culture and music varies quite a bit from island to island. That said, and trying to keep "on topic", what would one look to hear if the steel drum players are not that common?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Steel drums?

Calypso.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Steel drums?

I get it Saj,

Last year I went to Mazatlan with family. We spent the week checking out the local art scene, visiting the local university and making friends who took us out, night after night, on a quest to find the best and most authentic posole. Other people visit Mazatlan and want to sit at a seaside table eating steak while an unnecessarily colorfully and overly frilly dressed trio of men play Guantanamera.

On TA, we should consider requests for help with either of these interests equally. That said, Earl (a Trini) was an old friend of my mother and, in his absence (he's in Toronto), the best chance of listening to steel drums will be to find out where the Panoramers are playing or contact the Cayman School of Pan.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Steel drums?

I love it when you ask someone for help and then you tell them how to answer you.

I think the best advice for you would be to bring your own music, play it in your own room/villa/condo. That way you will be satisfied.

Jack Johnson always plays a concert for me just before sunrise while I make my coffee.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Steel drums?

gio, I asked my auntie your question about traditional music. She's a member of the Cayman Islands Traditional Arts Council and officially recognized by the government of the Cayman Islands as a living hero for her contributions to preserving traditional Caymanian culture.

Her answer:

"Well my dear, Caymanians always listened to and picked up music from all over the Caribbean. But if I had to pick one, I'd say Calypso probably the most; especially Soca."