We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman vs Curacao

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Grand Cayman vs Curacao

My husband and I are debating between Grand Cayman and Curacao. We will be traveling from Chicago in late April for 4 nights to celebrate his bday.

1. Which island has better beaches? Most reviews I read say GC has white sand and clear water, CUR has very coarse sand but excellent for snorkeling?

2. Which island has clearer/calmer water?

3. We will be going for 4 nights, which place has more to do? Which island is more touristy?

3. Which option do you think has the best value for two people if you have been there? Thoughts on these properties? Our budget is about $2k for flight +hotel.

-Grand Cayman Westin - Only paying for plane tickets with free hotel points- about $1k

- Curacao Lodge Kura Hulanda and Beach Club - slightly over $2k for plane + hotel

-Curacao Hilton - around $1600 for plane + hotel

Thanks so much!!!!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman vs Curacao

We've been to both, and our choice would be Cayman hands down. We did not feel very safe in Curacao and stayed at the Marriott most of the time. We did travel around a bit during the day, but didn't find the island that impressive. You get a bad feeling when convenience stores are barred off and you have to point at what you want, slip the money through the bars, and then they slip the purchases to you. On the other hand, we feel safe on Grand Cayman, the beach is awesome, and there's lots to do. My vote is definitely Grand Cayman!

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman vs Curacao

Both these islands are our favorites for scuba diving vacations. Curacao does have better snorkeling, but there are many good snorkel spots on Cayman. I think you'll like the Seven Mile Beach area on GC, especially for the length of your stay.Lots of sandy beach,good restaurants and shopping, too.

Take a day to rent a car and tour the island to Rum Point.

On Curacao,Lodge Kura Hulanda is quite a ways from town and pretty secluded. We like to stay in the Westpunt area, but its nothing like 7MB or Willemstad.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
383 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman vs Curacao

I would go with Cayman. Curacao is a long flight for only 4 nights imho.

4. Re: Grand Cayman vs Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:42