We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

I saw quite a few restaurants that have beach BBQ's or offer special menus on certain nights of the week. For instance, has anyone been to Walkabout Wednesday at Tukka or the Beach BBQ at Kaibo on Tuesday nights? Both appear to offer transportation from the Seven Mile Beach area. It would just be my husband and I. For those that have gone to either (or both), are either of these worth checking out?

Are there any other restaurants that offer things like this that you would recommend?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

We have been to both on numerous occasions, but drive ourselves.

Kaibo's Beach BBQ is nice since you can literally eat while on the beach and they have a band playing. There is an option to have the boat ride from Safehaven/SMB included in the price. Kaibo's food is usually very good, but I gave up having the BBQ, since it didn't meet the standard set by the regular menu and now just go for drinks and to listen to the band. Recent reviews seem to have a more positive impression than I regarding the food.

Tukka will bus you over from select SMB locations for their Walkabout which has a tasting menu as the special. The food has always been very good on our visits and the setting is nice, if you are seated on the porch or down on the sand.

For me, choosing between the two special offerings would come down to what I felt like: Kaibo Beach BBQ for ambiance and a "fun" night out or Tukka for better food.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
81 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

We stayed right next to Kaibo last year and went over on Tuesday night for the BBQ. I totally LOVED the atmosphere (outside, music, sand) and LOVED the drinks, but thought the food was "just okay". I have not been to Tukka before so I can't comment on that. I agree with Testudo that if I went back it would be for the drinks and music.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

Agreed. Food at BBQ was average. Tukka is really good. Haven't been there for the Walkabout but there food is delicious.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

Thank you for your responses. I think we would definitely want to opt for the better food. We are already planning on Tukka for Sunday Brunch. So if we like it there, we'll probably make a reservation for walkabout Wednesday. The tasting menu looks very good!

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

A fourth vote for the food at Tukka over the Kaibo Beach BBQ. Definitely.

You can't beat the beach front view and " feet in the sand " at Kaibo and the band has always been excellent, but the buffet BBQ is less that average.

If you get an outdoor table at Tukka you will have a great view and sounds of the sea along with great food.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 18:56
Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

I went to Tukka last Sunday for their brunch...good food, beautiful view over looking the water (some tables also down by the sand), and appreciated the warm greeting and small talk with Chef Ron. Crowded with locals and tourists. I'm going to assume that the Walkabout Wednesday is going to be a good bet. Enjoy!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

I think going to Tukka is one of the things I'm looking forward to most on our upcoming trip! We love trying different restaurants on vacation. Even the owner of the condo we are renting said we have to drive over to eat at Tukka at least once. If we do make it to Walkabout Weds, I'll definitely report back!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

Just an FYI....Tukka no longer provides transportation from SMB to their Walkabout Wednesday dinner. I had contacted them yesterday because the included transportation wasn't listed on their web site anymore, and Chef Ron responded it was basically too much of a hassle. Darn...

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

Thanks for the update on the cessation of the free shuttle for Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
279 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaibo Beach BBQ or Tukka's Walkabout Wednesday?

I must be the only person on TA that thought Tukka was overrated........it was OK...but I much preferred the fresh snapper that we cooked on the grill while sipping a Caybrew as the sun set behind the Rum Point pier. For me it wasn't worth the drive from my personal paradise :)