We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we cancel due to weather?

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Should we cancel due to weather?

I know that no one can predict the weather with 100% accuracy, and yes, Im aware that the recent flooding and extreme rain is unusual...but the forecast looks we are supposed to leave for our anniversary this Sunday (5/27) and stay on SMBeach for a week. The question is: Should we reschedule for when the weather is better/dry season - or is it worth risking it, is there ANY chance that there will be enough sun to make it worthwhile? I dont love the idea of spending the whole trip indoors...but we've planned this trip fir so long.

Any and all advice is welcome - especially those who are in GC now.

Thanks!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

If you look through recent posts, this topic has been "beat to death" in this forum. Unless Grand Cayman ends up being in the bulls eye of a hurricane, I say don't cancel. That's just my two cents.

Houston
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

We have been here for 8 days and haven't had one day/moment of sun. If the forecast still says rain, I would personally move your trip. This is our 3rd time here and we are pretty disappointed-not the way to spend a vacation. The only good thing is that we have been able to dive and eat grat food.

Wagoner, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

We are going to be there too on Sunday the 27th. We are still going. We already have all of our dives planned and everything. If you look at the weather, it says a 60% chance of rain. That doesnt mean its going to rain all the time. We were there last October with the same forecast and it rained once. I'm still going - being on a beach is better than being at work!

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

I have made many trips to Cayman. Never have I considered changing my plans due to weather forecasts. Fortunately, I haven't been on-island during an episode like this but I have seen my share of Nor Westers. If a hurricane were in the forecast, I would have pause. In the absence of a hurricane or major tropical storm bearing down, I'm the first one on the plane if possible. Go and enjoy.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

I think it depends on a few things.

This is certainly an abnormal weather pattern with the amount of consistent rain. This is not the normal forecast with a chance of rain each day.

Will you lose money on the trip? Rescheduling airfare you are most likely going to have to pay change fees. If you rented a condo you will not get your money back.

If you can easily reschedule for minimal financial loss, I would look at trying.

You could also move your trip East as the eastern caribbean is not being affected by all this rain.

Sorry....

B.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 20:07
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

Just don't go to Turks and Caicos.... there is some sort of a "mystery" flu type illness all over the island. Lots of sick people and vacation cancellations. A good majority of the resorts have been affected and 1 death which they think may be related.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

That is a complete misrepresentation of what is going on. There are a few hotels that have reported an increase in what is most likely norovirus. It is not all over the island and the majority of the the resorts have not been affected.

www.suntci.com/index.php?p=story&id=2572

B.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
503 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

Sorry.... I have been following this all week and many have cancelled their plans as they still are not positive what has caused this.

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

We are leaving for GC Monday. Our first time to GC. Not too worried about rain. After all we can't change the weather.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we cancel due to weather?

Thank you, RJF. Finally! Go and be happy.