We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Rockville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

While we picked the worst possible dates to visit Grand Cayman where it poured every single day, this trip was by no mean a wash. This trip felt more like an Adventure than a standard Caribbean vacation, a different feel but with it’s own charm.

Thanks to the TripAdvisor community, we decided to stay at the North Side of Grand Cayman to avoid the crowd. We went with the one of the Sea Lodges due to it’s close proximity to Rum Point, amazing environment, and reasonable rates (~$200 / night, video review: http://youtu.be/Y6yIaEyfrto), we also rented a car from Avias for the entire week (~$40 / day) to get around the island. Driving on the right and going through the loop presented no major issue, except the first few minutes where my car tended to drift to the left since I am used to seeing the lane right smack on my left side.

Here are some of the more memorable moments:

- Our US Airway flight arrived at Grand Cayman when the rain was the worst - our pilot made 4 attempts at landing before finally touching down on the 4th try. A few days later I talked to fellow tourists and found out that our flight was the last one to punch through the rain. After us all the flights were delayed for as much as 11 hours!

- We made an effort to engage locals we encounter and I am so glad we did! We learned a lot of interesting facts and fun places to check out. Usually the more intimidating the person looked, the friendlier (s)he is! From talking to people living on the island, we learned that it was crabbing season and how locals catch and prepare the crabs; the best jerk place is the one next to Hurly’s at Grand Harbor; A local guy with a truck is going around with tall ladder picking all the coco nuts to sell to tourists and leaving none for the locals… etc etc! This additional interaction gave the island a whole additional dimension, we loved it!

- Visited Turtle Farm, got punched in the eye ball by a sea turtle. Thought I was going to lose that eye.

- We tried catching land crabs ourselves… it was a lot harder than we thought.

- Got our SCUBA Open Water certification! The underwater world there is breathtaking. Unfortunately we were not able to dive The Wall due to current, but we may be back. Two thumbs way up for Ocean Frontiers, special shout out to Reggie for being extremely patient with us!

- Sting Ray City’s water turned brown from nearby mangroves releasing “steam.” While we did not have the clear Caribbean water, we also did not have a huge crowd (video: http://youtu.be/h9SYib2x724). Especially enjoyed talking to one of Red Sail Sports’ operator on the boat rides, and her story of visiting NYC.

- On the last two days a neighborhood cat became our travel companion. A local carpenter told us the story about the cat (long story in photo desc).

- There are a lot of beautiful beaches on the island, wish the weather cooperated enough for me to bring my camera out more; but if that had been the case, I may still be editing the photos right now, lol.

I would love to share with the TA community what a great vacation I had because of all great information here, there is simply no way we could have experienced all these moments without this site. Here is our Facebook album with little stories associated some photos, hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Edited: 01 June 2012, 15:50
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Wonderful report and wonderful attitude. I enjoyed your videos on youtube, also. I am sure that the locals appreciated your interest in them and in local activities as much as you appreciated them.

Thanks for the upbeat report, you certainly made the best of a bad situation.

Rockville...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Thank you! We were definitely taken back by the amount of rain, but after awhile we kind of got used to it. I was a bit bummed by not experiencing GC in all it's glory, but my gf was very happy to not have to deal with the hot weather and bugs, lol.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
549 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Thank you for your great Trip Report! I really enjoyed it and your wonderful sense of humor about a very wet vacation. I hope you get to come back when it is sunny and beautiful:) One of our favorite places to snorkel (Thanks to Testudo's Snorkel Guide) starts by going straight out to the reef and drifting along the reef to Rum Point. It is beautiul out there! Was there AC in the place you stayed? I think the bird is a Frigate, they are really neat to watch. Thanks again for the pictures and report.

Harker Heights...
Level Contributor
233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Loved your report. That is the way it is supposed to be. Deal with the cards you are dealt and have a great time. You seemed to do that and i hope you come back with better weather. it is a wonderful destination.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

You are definitely a glass half full person! Been going to GC for 40 years and never experienced weather like you had. Hope you'll be back soon to enjoy the beautiful weather, which is the norm. Thanks for your report.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 19:51
New jersey
Level Contributor
339 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

WOW, I knew you guys had a blast but your photos tell a fantastic story, I . Love the way you guys are smiling and having fun even when is raining.

Your photos of Stingray City are unique, I have not seeing that water color before...truly amaizing, I'm glad you took the time to take the pictures so we can see it, .

Once again, thanks for the info and the video. Can wait to get to KK

Hope

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Great trip report and even better attitude. Thanks for posting.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

What a great trip report given the non-cooperative weather that you guys got. Love the cat! I might have to consider staying at the Sea Lodges next time if it means I can have a cat companion while on vacation! :-)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

We rented a house in Cayman Brac that came with a semi-resident cat who waited on the porch every day for food. We are not " cat people " but found ourselves buying cat food every day and feeding it. It kind of grew on us.

There was also a resident kitten one year at Plantana that we not only fed, but named. This is from Husky owners, most Huskys hate cats!

Edited: 02 June 2012, 01:26
Midwest
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - 5/21 - 5/26 aka Rained the Whole Week

Loved all of your pictures. We usually go every summer but are sticking closer to home this year Your pictures made me feel like I did go.

Thank you.