We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Stingray City Tour?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Stingray City Tour?

I am looking for Stingray City tour suggestions. I would prefer to go with a company that doesn't take too big of crowds as I want as much time as possible in the water. Any suggestions for small tour company?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
3,512 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

Are you looking for Stingray City - the dive site, or Stingray Sandbar - where most of the stingray activity takes place in @ 3 feet of water?

Though I have no experience with any of the other operators, Capt Dexter has a trimaran that takes 15-20 people to stingray sandbar and also a snorkel stop at the coral gardens. Our boat was closely followed by a large Red Sail boat (appeared to have 50+ people on it) to both of our stops (the Red Sail ship arrived at both places @ 10 minutes after us).

…bookwood.com/dextersfantaseatours/

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
547 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

We went with Ambassador Divers and thought they did a good job. The tour took us to Stingray City Sandbar, Barrier Reef, and Coral Gardens. We saw a lot of fish and I especially liked the Barrier Reef a lot, beautiful coral and a lot f fish. There were only six of us and the guide, nice small group. Last year we went with a different goup and thought this was much better, it just depends on what you are looking for. I have read great things about Ocean Frontiers and we went on a snorkel trip with them which we really enjoyed. I think both of these companies take small groups. Have fun!

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

We are looking to snorkel, not scuba dive. Thanks for the info!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

FYI. Both Sting Ray City sites (The original Dive and Sand Bar) are snorkel friendly. The Dive site visit is conducted in 12 -15 foot deep water and the Sand Bar in 2-4 foot deep water. You do not need to snorkel at the Sand Bar site.

For snorkelers, the Dive site is best visited on a snorkeler only tour where the guide's attentions are focused on them. In my experience, when tagging along on a dive/snorkel trip the divers usually end up receiving most of the guide's attention.

Dive ops, like Ambassador Divers mentioned above, do conduct snorkel only tours to either site.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
547 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

Like Testudo said Ambassador Divers offers snorkel ONLY tours, thats what we took. I also don't dive, maybe some day:)

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. I just hope we have good weather for our trip at the end of June

Spring Hill, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

Tagging along how about captain Marvin's sandbar tour?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

Captain Marvin's has been in business for many, many years and consistently receives good reviews. We were out with them a few times and only once, years ago, was the crew less than attentive. In all fairness, they were young nephews of Captain Marvin and have surely moved on by now. It is a very reliable operation and they do their job well.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

I will keep them in mind, too. Thanks!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Stingray City Tour?

kris -- book your tour early in the week -- that way if the weather or conditions in the North Sound turn snotty you will have a chance to rebook. It is the Police not the ops who decide if the conditions warrant the Sound being closed. Most of the time the water is like glass, but it would be sad if you were really looking forward to going, waited until the end of the week and then it couldn't happen. You will have a great time no matter who you go with. All the boats at the Sandbar line up near each other and there are plenty of rays and excitement for all to share!!! Have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman