We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Grand Cayman

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Grand Cayman

Hi - we're considering a trip to Grand Cayman (husband, myself, 18 year old daughter and her friend) and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay. Has anyone stayed at Turtle Nest Inn? Looks interesting and affordable. Also, is a car necessary?

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Though TNI has two pools (right on the beach), it does not sound like it will be your best options for two 18 year olds.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

If you want the girls to be able to go off by themselves for a bit of shopping or for lunch, the central section of Seven Mile Beach is ideal. There are plenty of condo options, check the sites mentioned by Retrip.

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

16gauge - your pics are awesome! Love the turtles and the starfish!

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Thanks, turtle pictures were taken at the turtle farm (we did not see any in the ocean - my wife is a turtle fanatic, so she really wanted to snorkel up to a wild one). Most of the star fish were found at Starfish point (near Rum Point).

Pictures were taken with a fairly inexpensive underwater digital camera - a Cannon Powershot D10. I bought it for @ $250 from Amazon.com. It is a rather ugly camera, but it takes great underwater (and above water) pictures. Only a 3X digital zoom, so it will never take the place of a DSLR, but it is a great "pocket" camera. I highly recommend getting either this or some other digital underwater camera for a GC trip.

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

I just checked out the Plantana website and it looks incredible. Did you book online, or over the phone? I don't seem to be able to get a realtime calendar of availability. I really want to find something spacious, clean and on the beach (with a pool option).

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

The Plantana is awesome. I always call the office to book directly. The website shows great pictures of the individual units which is helpful.

Good luck!

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

From what I've read I see that there's a grocery store on SMB but is there any type of health food store, or does the grocery sell gluten free items? My daughter has celiac and must eat gluten free. Are there any restaurants with gluten free menus and/or could they accommodate and make adjustments to their menu offerings?

Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Not sure about the gluten-free stuff, but you could try the Bay Market food store at Camana Bay for health food groceries. They are affiliated with Fosters, but specialize in gourmet and organic items.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Foster's sells gluten-free products.

kansas
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

We booked over the phone after looking at the site and selecting the condo unit we wanted. Also check out the specials at the bottom of the web page. You can look at all the units and then read reviews of the units. The people were great and did the final contract online. We booked a two bed two bath unit on the 3rd floor for the view. I figured with two older kids that there was no problem with hauling items up the stairs.