We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart Phone Settings

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Smart Phone Settings

I know this is similar to a recently posted question on phone cards, but I'm limited on international travel experience and heading to GC on Monday. My wife has an iphone with AT&T. I have a (business provided) HTC Evo with Sprint. I've looked into the options for both as to handling calls. I added international calling to my wife's plan so that we can make calls for $1.65 / min (if needed). But as far as the settings and not racking up data charges....little confused. Do most smart phone users disable their 3G/4G settings and does this avoid the data fees? If I enable roaming to receive/make calls will this allow data (charges) to come through via email, etc...? I know, more of a cell phone forum question, but hoping a Grand Cayman regular has a quick answer/suggestion. Thanks!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smart Phone Settings

It depends on the phone. Most phones have an international data disable feature. This is important as if you turn on 3G you will receive and transmit all sorts of data not just email

On an iPhone it is Settings - General - Network than you can switch off cellular data or data roaming only.

B.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smart Phone Settings

A lot depends on which plan you have but generally turning off, or 'deactivating data services' is the best way. By turning off data services (3G/4G, or EDGE/GPRS) prevents racking up the huge bills, you won't receive any data via the talk/text portion of your service

There's enough WiFi around where you can leave data off permanently and rely on that, unless you have a lot of time critical stuff to deal with

Also, if you're planning on making 45 mins of calls to the US or more, it's cheaper to buy a GoPhone from Digicel. $50 including $20 of credit (calls to the US are like 20c a minute)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smart Phone Settings

Thanks for the advice. I figured out how to set our phones to not roam or connect to 3g / 4g. It may just involve some testing once I get there, but my hope is to be able to receive/make calls, receive texts, but not use any data. Not even sure if this is possible. But I would like my office to be able to alert me via text if they need me. Then I could determine if I will just call them back or get to some wifi and contact them via skype.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smart Phone Settings

Depending on your carrier, the text portion of the calling plan may be associated with the voice portion, so even if you have the data settings turned-off you can still receive texts for a nominal fee (if you have enabled roaming).

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smart Phone Settings

For calling, we have used Skype on wifi to make calls to/from international, and have generally found the connections to be very good. We pre-load 2 accounts (1 per phone) with US $10 and set to auto-recharge (never have needed it but it's just in case), and voila. We also use it to check voicemail every do often, although family has our hotel contact info overseas. Easy peasy.

6. Re: Smart Phone Settings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman