We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

i'll be staying at the Marriott in mid-August. thinking of renting a boat to travel to other areas to snorkel, bsides SMB.

Does anyone know if i can dock the boat at either Cemetary or Rum Point? can i dock at a pier, or just beach it?

thanks.

Nick

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,451 Reviews
Grand Cayman
GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
748 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

At Cemetery beach, there is no dock. You would have to anchor in the sand. Depending on the boat, you may be able to bring it to the beach to load/ unload, but you couldn't leave it beached.

At Rum point there is a dock for loading / unloading, but again you would have to anchor off.

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,451 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Rent a car and swim out to spots... Worked wonderfully two years in a row. :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

I suspect that other posters will also chime in but my $0.02 is that renting a boat in the Cayman Islands is a VERY bad idea. The local waters are incredibly challenging, even for people with years of boating experience and downright dangerous for anyone who has not spent a substantial amount of time in the waters of Grand Cayman.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Testudo recently posted a report and had pictures showing a Jet Ski tour that anchored and MANY of the people on this websit think you should not throw an anchor down just anywhere! It will damage the coral and other sea creatures that can't get out of your way. Listen to smushie for her good advice but also please don't use an anchor, go out with a good tour company.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

I agree with smushie, skip the idea of renting a boat. It could have disasterous consequences. Charter a boat and let an Captain who is experienced in Cayman waters take you around , then rent a car some other days. The best snorkeling on the island is easily accessible from shore anyway, if you go to the sites noted in Testudo's snorkel blog.

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

thanks for the input. you guys spotted my dilemma. if i can't dock it, i figured i should not just throw an anchor overboard.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Your first problem will be renting a boat. Moore Marine does rent power boats for the day (9 to 4) for $300 to $600. That does not include gas and oil.

Go with a pro.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Noo way I would rent a boat. There are huge coral heads, and sand bars that if you don't know the waters your would more than likely hit them. Also just throwing an anchor overboard is illegal in come spots.

B,

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Agreed Booya,

Docking is the least of your worries. There is an endless and constantly changing array of unmarked obstacles that require substantial local experience before ever taking the helm. Just to reiterate for the benefit of this poster. I've spent roughly 3 decades working on and off in and around boat in Caymanian waters; spear fishing, chartering, etc. When my in-laws come to visit, I charter a boat and leave it to the pros so I can enjoy my day.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: docking a boat at Cemetary or Rum Point

Where would we rent a power boat with a Captain for the day?