We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef resort/East End questions

Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Reef resort/East End questions

We are considering booking a condo at the Reef Resort (Castaways Cove Condos) for next March. My concern is that it doesn't look to be swimmer friendly for young children. Does anyone know if there is a coral and rock free area for children to wade into and swim? I understand that the water can be choppy that time of year, which can be fun for swimming, but I don't want to have to worry about the kids getting cut up on coral while wave jumping.

I've also read that the beds are not comfortable at these condos. Can anyone comment on the quality of the beds there? Thanks!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

1. The sea bottom in front of The Reef is more rocky than sandy, but there isn't any coral close to shore that would cut them and the rock is fairly smooth. Kids there tend to spend most of their time in the pools anyway.

2. Haven't had any problem with the beds. They do tend to be firm. From what I've read mgt. is pretty good about swapping mattresses upon request.

columbus,oh
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

If you want your kids to swim in the ocean stay on SMB,East end beach is not kid friendly.

North End of SMB is your best bet as far as less people and good beach.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

Friends had their 5 -yr-old grandson with them and they didn't seem to have an issue with the swimming in front of The Reef. Entry can be rocky - you have to pick your spots. You can always bring water shoes for the kids to wear. They can be bought pretty inexpensively at Target, Kmart, etc. although the may be harder to find now that summer merchandise is being cleared out . Agree that the kids tend to hang out at the pools and make friends there more easily.

As for the beds, well that's a tough question as everyone has their own opinion as to what is comfortable and what isn't. A lot depends on what you're used to. We have a pretty firm mattress at home and tend to find mattresses at hotels/resorts a little soft for our liking. I don't recall us having issues with the ones at The Reef.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

The beds are awful. The pillows are gross. Where theres smoke, theres fire. Stay some where at SMB.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

"Where theres, smoke theres fire." What the heck does that mean?

From your previous comments and your review of The Reef from 15 months ago, it's previous obvious that you weren't happy with your stay there. However, others, especially the OP, should know that you made very similar comments about the bedding in your review of Regal Beach Club (equating it to staying in a maximum security prison, amongst other negative comments) . If things were that bad at The Reef 537 out of 647 people who have posted reviews on The Reef wouldn't have found it very good to excellent compared to only 44 saying it's poor to terrible.

And no, I'm not an owner at The Reef. Just someone who feels the "gross" comment is unwarranted.

California
Level Contributor
147 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

We thought the beds were very comfortable and we often have trouble sleeping on beds when we travel. No worries!

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

Years ago, before water shoes were available, we (and our young children) just used a pair of cheap tennis shoes/sneakers. They worked well and then we just threw them away (or left them at our parents house on the island).

Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

The Retreat at Rum Point has a GREAT beach area for kids of all ages. Large, private, sandy beach area with chairs, trees, near to the condo complex. It has an extended area of shallow water that is great for young ones learning to snorkel or just wanting to explore. A bit further out, there is coral and various sea life in fairly shallow water, and very near to shore are some grasses worth investigating. Toward the Rum Point Public Beach there is an area that is bordered by large rocks where the wee little ones may safely play in the water and, I believe, there was a tree shading part of that area most of the day. Off the opposite side of the Retreat is a great snorkeling area for older kids and adults. You walk a bit down the beach to enter and the current directs you back to the Retreat area. I don't recall much big wave action at all when we were there in March '12. Water shoes should be worn regardless of the bottom surface. It is the sea and you never know what may be resting in the sand. The Retreat also has a pool but we were in the sea each day so didn't get around to trying out the pool. There are several floor plans from which to choose. We have reserved for our second stay at Mr. Monge's condo #32. The beds are very firm. We have only stayed at this location so can not compare or advise on any other areas. This area fulfilled all our expectations and beyond.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

Well said BarbP and AS an owner I was very offended by that person's unfair kinda "drive by" comments and appreciative of yours.

Thank you,

Celine

ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Reef resort/East End questions

I have never stayed anywhere but East End. We have been going since 1991. We stay at Morritt's Grand or at the Reef. I love the peace at that end of the island.

We take my little niece sometimes.She loves it also. She plays in the ocean or the pools.

I have no complaints with the Reef. I found the bed firm, but not awful.The staff was very nice. The rooms very clean.