We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

We had a wonderful trip to Grand Cayman - how can you not?!

We were very lucky with the weather - when it rained, it didn't last long - maybe a 10 minute shower. on the second or third day, there was an all island, nearly all day power outage. Georgetown was closed down and we found very few open restaurants. We had breakfast at the Westin - they have generators so even the AC was working. Then we hit the road and vistited the Blow Holes - last time we saw them was pre-Ivan. Back then , there were 7 holes and they really shot the water into the air. I have to agree with another poster that the blow holes (now just 3) aren't what they used to be, but we had a very nice tour from the local Blow Hole Ambassdor, Alan. We tried to visit Vivienne's kitchen since we were in the area, but no power, no food. from there we visited the botanical gardens. Had never been there before, and it was a very pleasant stop. I would have never made the trip if it weren't for my sister-in-law joining us for that part of the trip. If you love gardening, be sure to check it out. A huge blue iguana crossed our path and very kindly and patiently posed for photos.

We dove with Happy Fish - seriously love those guys.We are a family of 4 - 2 adults, a 15 year old, and a 12 year old. That means we all have different depth restrictions and Happy Fish provides multiple guides so no one dives without a guide and they hire the nicest people. It is just a pleasure to dive with them.

We hadn't been to the Turtle Farm or Sting Ray City for a few years but it was SIL's first trip so we re-visited both. We did Red Sail for Sting Ray City - I do love their catamaran's and my SIL cannot swim but the captain set her up with a vest and flotation buoy and coaxed her into the water - 57 yrs old and so proud of herself for overcoming a major fear. It was wonderful that he had the patience and compassion to help her and now she is planning to take swimming lessons. She even got to "shake hands" with a Ray.

The Turlte Farm was also great - we just visited the touch tanks area. I love turltes - they are the coolest dudes in the sea. We got some great photos and SIL loved it.

We had great meals at the following restaurants:

The Wharf - our traditional first night dinner. The food is good, but the setting at sunset is heavenly. We were there on Tuesday - free Salsa lessons. The dance floor gets very crowded, but it's lots of fun. My son hung in there long after the rest of us had overheated. Who knew?

Guy Harvey - excellent fish options. My husband LOVES Dover Sole and they almost always have it. VERY expensive at $59 but on SSaturday and Sunday night, you get second entree (if the same) is only $1, so if two people order it, it's only $30 each. You don't have to order the most expensive entree, so consider Guy Harvey's on weekend nights and have a reasonable and excellent meal.

Morgan's Harbour - love this West Bay resturant. There are two other great choices in close proximity - Oeseteria and Calypso Grill. Morgan's Harbour is the most affordable of the 3, in my opinion, but still pretty pricey. We haven't tried the other two becuase the prices on the menu deterred us, but MH is excellent and the setting is lovely.

Cracked Conch - our traditional last night dinner. The best calamari ever. My kids and husband orders the butter poached Mahi Mahi - too decadent for me. But I had a bite and it was divine. I had the snapper special and cleaned my plate. A lovely sunset view over Turlte Reef.

Prime - a brazilian steakhouse - all you can eat - too much food really. Pretty expensive but kids 16 and under are half price. Since my 15 year old son eats as much as two adults, his meal at least was a bargain. Not sure we would go again becuase we don't really like ot overeat, but everything was delicious and I do recommend it.

Macabuca - we love this bar and one night a week (was it Monday?) they have all you can eat barbeque. The barbeque is very good and I think it was relatively reasonable.

Sunset Grille - no reservations, very few tables so you might have to wait. The place is spotlessly clean and the food is excellent and for Cayman, reasonably priced. Love the tiny ice cream cones they bring at the end of the meal. Flavor changes daily. Please order the Painkiller! Fresh nutmeg - my second favorite drink ingredient (rum i shte first, if you were wondering). Why is it so hard to find rum cocktails with fesh nutmeg?

Paradise - just outside of Georgetown, right before Eden Rock. Very quiet there in the evening after the cruise ships have left and great sunset water view. We all enjoyed our meals very much.

EATS - did I nearly forget them? We had breakfast here almost every day. Four of us can have a huge breakfast for about $50 US. That is a deal and a half! I think all of the people from the Westin walk over there for breakfast.

We stayed in a condo on SMB - so nice to have a kitchen and snacks and drinks for everyone when we are on the beach for the day. I think it is the way to go and since restaurants are so expesnive in GC, it helps to eat some meals in.

I hope you found this report helpful.

Pelham
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

Thank you - it was very helpful. We've been trying to decide on a Sting Ray City excursion and can't decide between companies. We thought the Red Sail Catamarans would be too crowded. Did you find a problem with this? However, with smaller children, I do need to find a boat with a bathroom. Did you do a breakfast cruise or the afternoon one?

Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

When we went, there were 30 people on the boat and they can take up to 70. In high season, you'd probably be on a full boat. I hear Captain Marvin's has a nice catamaran and they don't take as many people. I don't know about bathrooms though. We did the luch cruise which does not go to the sandbar, but the deeper site. The sandbar might be better with younger kids.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

Nice report! Really like the restaurant synopses.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
547 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

Thanks for sharing your trip with all of us! Sounds like a wonderful visit.

5. Re: Trip Report - July 23 - August 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:17