We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography Areas & Laws

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Photography Areas & Laws

My favorite things to do when traveling is snorkel and take pictures.

I noticed on this site: …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1084.html That it is illegal to take photographs of some buildings in Grand Cayman. Does anyone know which buildings/areas I should avoid photographing? I don't want to violate any laws while I am there.

Also, if anyone knows of some 'must photograph' locations on the island I would love to know!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

That site is a very general one generated by the US State Department, not by the CI government. You notice that it says there "may" be laws about photographing certain buildings. I am fairly sure there are no such laws on the books in the Cayman Islands.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

I would ignore what you read about photography. You can take pictures of whatever you want.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

Thanks Sue and smushie!

Hoping to get some good pictures while we are there! :)

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

I think that inside immigration, as you are coming into the island, there are signs that say no photography.

BKK
Level Contributor
541 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

Is there any reason why you can't photograph inside immigration? Is this because there is something the government is trying to hide or just because some bureaucrate came up with the idea of no photography?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

The same rules apply when you are coming back to the US. Don't make a big deal of it!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

"Is this because there is something the government is trying to hide or just because some bureaucrate came up with the idea of no photography?"

It's neither. Regardless, I assumed that it was self explanatory that taking pictures of "whatever you want" did not include the insides of government facilities.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

I believe it is pretty normal upon entry into most countries. Do they want to hide something -- sure they do!!! They want to hide how their systems to work so that you cannot have terrorists and drug smugglers etc. spending hours pouring over photographs to find any potential soft spots!!!! Thank goodness this is part of the protocol!

It is also interesting and sad to note that much of the info on the US State Dept sites are very generalized and in some cases cover very broad areas, not just the actual country one is visiting.

Edited: 26 August 2012, 21:01
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

" Thank goodness this is part of the protocol! "

Thank you, Retrip.

Edited: 26 August 2012, 21:24
10. Re: Photography Areas & Laws

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman