We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray Sailing

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray Sailing

Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with this tour company.

They seem to have good reviews and a great ranking here on TA. However there doesn't seem to be as much feedback or recs on them in the forum (as compared to Capt. Marvin or Dexter).

Also, their rates appear to be a bit higher....which is ok with us, especially if feedback received is positive. And so far, we've been pleased with their responsiveness and information provided via email.

We are considering them for a Sandbar excursion. Prefer a smaller group excursion, nice catamaran-type boat (with bathroom) and simply a professional, friendly and knowledgeable crew.

Any advice and feedback welcome!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray Sailing

I guess all I can say after reading some of the reviews is that there is nothing more or less. Most people are completely in awe of their experience at Stingray City and/or Sandbar and all the ops that have been in business any lenght of time are going to have great friendly and knowledgeable crews -- it goes with the turf. Most of the boats have a head. How many people does the boat actually hold? Don't forget that there is not as much room to move around on a cat but it can really enhance the experience. As long as you don't go with one of the cattle boats -- which really are there only for day visitors who have a short window to get in an out -- you really can't go wrong. Only someone who has tried them all can say who is best and that is only based on their likes and dislikes. The hard thing about reviews is that while the person may have loved it (or hated it) what are they using as a yardstick. I think you will find most of the ops have a great reputation!! The only ones I don't like are the ones that offer drinks. Stingray City is one of the few places where it is really too much to have lots of people in the water with animals and mix in sun and booze!

That is coming from someone who certainly doesn't mind a little refreshment!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray Sailing

Thank you for the reply Retrip. All very good points and the kind of feedback I needed....so thank you for taking the time!

We're definitely looking forward to experiencing Stingray Sandbar and hope to make it a memorable first time. But there seems to be so many operators to choose from! So thank goodness for TA to help direct us to the 'right ones' to suit our family. :)

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray Sailing

One of the things I recently learned is that when I "click" on the names of each ship in port on any given day (http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php) it tells the arrival and departure time.

When you take into consideration the time it will take for the passengers to get ashore (via tendering), get to the North Sound "docking" area from George Town , travel 6 + miles to Stingray City or Sandbar (and then do the same to return back to the ship) you can get a good idea of when you can avoid the crowds when you visit the stingrays.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray Sailing

Midwest Annie, thanks for the tip on looking up each ship's arrival and departure times. I'd been on that website a few times but didn't realize it had that info available by just clicking on each individual ship.....so, thank you!

Probably a dumb question....but how long does it typically take to tender passengers to/from their ship?

In other words, if a ship is set to depart at 4pm, when would most passengers be returning to port in order to make it on time for their departure?

Thanks again for any and all info.

Philadephia
Level Contributor
23 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stingray Sailing

The tendering process from the dock to the shore only takes about 5-10 minutes. What DOES take time is waiting for the tender to fill up. They don't run empty tenders. Your cruise line will tell you when you HAVE to be back on board. We sailed with Carnival and we had to be back an hour prior to sailing so don't leave it to the last minute to get back on the tender and back to the ship.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stingray Sailing

Thank you Blueize36, appreciate the information.

Philadephia
Level Contributor
23 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stingray Sailing

Chloe_jade416 - I think that you will LOVE Stingray city. It does get crowded with many tour boats all doing the same excursion, but it was an amazing experience. My husband and I did it as an excursion offered by Carnival and we had a wonderful time. We're going to GCM next month for a week and plan to do it again! I hope that you enjoy your cruise!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stingray Sailing

chloe -jade has already posted that she will be staying on island, and not cruising.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
197 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stingray Sailing

We used Stingraysailing.com and Chip and michelle will make your trip one to remeber for a long time. They are little more exspensive by like 5 or 10 dollars but they take out a smaller group and give you free bottled water and snacks. They also have a bathroom on their Catamaran which is a bonus for us older men. LOL We used them Feb 2011 and booked them again for our feb 2013 cruise. They can fit 30 on there boat but when we sailed we had 12 people. Once your at the sandbar you will understand why smaller groups are better. You can save 10 bucks and go with another tour operator but they stick 50 to 75 people on their larger boats. If its not a catamaran boat I would not think about heading out on it. Cats are a much smoother ride.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 21:02
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stingray Sailing

Thank you all again for the great feedback. Much appreciated.

And yes Kiddos is correct, we will be staying on-island. But everyone's info will be quite helpful to us as we plan our trip. :)

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman