We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Planning an upcoming trip to Grand Cayman, staying in Bodden Town and have heard how expensive it is to eat here. Just curious if anyone knows the costs of the fast food places such as Pizza Hut, Wendy's, Subway, etc...

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Expect 1.5 to 2 times the US price.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

We don't normally do fast food, but we did buy a couple of sandwiches recently at Subway and it looked like they were about $2CI higher.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Why do you want to spend the time, effort and money to go all the way to GC and eat fast food?

There is much better food available that is less expensive.

B.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

We normally eat fast food during the day on our travels for a quick cheap meal while sight seeing. For dinner we usually try local places.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Patties at gas stations are the cheapest lunches and they are available everywhere. Given that you eat fast food 5-7 days a week, this might be your best, cheapest option. That said, I'd suggest places like Chicken Chicken or even the hot and cold buffet at Fosters, where you can sample a host of local foods.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Local food places around Bodden Town (all are affordable in Cayman terms) are:

Seaside Paradise, Grape Tree Cafe, Chester's Jerk & Fish Fry, Wood's Jerk, Rankin's Jerk, and EverGlo.

No fast food unless you travel to Savannah (10-15 minutes) where you'll have Domino's, Wendy's, Chinese.

Edited: 17 September 2012, 03:31
New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

I agree with smushie. If you want to eat cheaply, go to the supermarket buffets. Kirk's and Hurley's are not far from Bodden t Town and have a better selection than Wendy's.

If you are in the West Bay area during your travels, you can try Tim Buc Tuu or Heritage Kitchen.

Miami
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

I usually stop in to one of the larger supermarkets (usually Foster's Food Fair) if I'm out to get some food at the takeout buffet. You pay by the pound and usually there is a good selection. You can get a decent meal for about US$7.00-$8.00 but if you really want fast food then expect to pay about 50% more than in the US for the same food.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

Two weeks ago I paid $13 for a Italian BMT footlong and drink at Subway in the 7 mile beach area. I also tried a buffet for local food at the grocerey store. That proved to be much more satisfying and better on the wallet.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the fast food expensive compared to the US?

"That proved to be much more satisfying and better on the wallet."

...and better on your gastro-intestinal system!