We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

We are staying at the Mortitt's Tortuga Club the last week of October. Weather forecast indicates a lot of rain that week. Does that mean it rains all day or simply cloud bursts? How is the Morritt's Tortuga Club? Any advise?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

There is no way to accurately forecast what the weather will be this far in advance. Historically, October is one of the rainiest months in Cayman but, with a late October visit, you might be OK. Pirate's Week was moved some years ago from October to November after the entire week's activities were rained out.

Can't comment on Morritt's except to say that I would want information about my lodging before I booked, not after.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

Have you read any of the reviews here on TA or any of the other sites like Travelocity, Expedia, Redweek.com, or TUG1 (the timeshare users website)? Also read all of the pertinent info about the resort on its website?

Hopefully you are already aware that

1) the resort is located in the East End, about 45 minutes or so from the main hotel/resort area of Seven Mile Beach, so a car is recommended for at least part of your stay.. You'll be very limited on what you can do without one. There isn't any real public transportation in that area of the island and even transfers between the airport and resort can be pricey,

2) that construction has begun for additional buildings at Morritt's so you may encounter some construction noise while you are there.

Others with personal experiences at Morritt's can provide more specifics. We have only stayed next door at The Reef.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

We're staying there for two weeks in January rvande. I'll look forward to your post when you return to see what you think of the resort.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

Not only can you not predict the weather this far in advance, but just because it may be raining in one part of GC does not mean it's raining all over the island. We've been out on East End quite often and seen the sun shining brightly while everything is blown out in Northside (and vice versa). And except for the case with major storm systems or tropical disturbances, the weather rarely remains rainy for extended periods of time.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

Thanks for your reviews. I have looked into the lodging at the time of booking but I was wondering if anyone had up to date information on the construction.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

I observed active construction work from the street when we were by there a few weeks ago but did not see other areas of the property.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

We drove over to Morritt's Tuesday to check it out for my business partner who has a timeshare that works there. I personally do not like the rocky beaches on the East End compared to Seven Mile Beach. Don't get me wrong, there are sandy sections, but there is a lot of rock on the shore and in the water. The one good reason to stay on the East End is if you just hate the traffic of the busier section of GC. For me, the traffic is meaningless once I am at my condo and on the great sandy beach.

However, Morritt's looked very nice. There is major construction on the premisis, but for some reason it was not active Tuesday, so I can't comment on possible noise when they are working. If you like a lot of restaurant activity, your choices will be limited unless you drive 30-45 minutes. If you like to stay put, Morritt's should be just fine.

As for rain, we have had quite a bit this week, but as posted earlier, it comes and goes and only covers parts of the island at any given time. It also moves out rapidly. One more thing -- the prevailing winds seem to be from the NE this time of year which make the East End very choppy and Seven Mile Beach protected and calm. Just another consideration. Hope this helps!

Edited: 04 October 2012, 23:21
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

Hi,

Just returned from Morritt's Tortuga Resort. I was not in an updated room although I requested it. It was clean but the Bathroom and Kitchen needed much work. SInce we did not cook, we could deal with the kitchen but the baths were small and had very little counter space for toiletries.

The construction noise was minimal as we were there after they poured the cement for the foundation and it had to cure so for the first 4 days we were there, a construction worker was pouring water on the cement constantly. On day 6 of our trip, a crane was placing cement blocks onto the property and that was noisey during the day. At night, there was nothing but the sound of the ocean waves, unless the room above you was rented out. Then there was noise when they walked across the room.

Weather wise, we lucked out. We arrived as "SANDY" was heading up the eastern coast so we only had wind, which was a pleasant relief to the hot sun. We were abkle to rent bikes from the resort and ride to the blow holes. It was a 12+mile treak but fun. I brought granola bars and almonds which was a good idea.

9. Re: Grand Caymen - Oct 26, 2012 Morritt's Tortuga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman