We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

idaho
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

We have never been to the Caymans but looking at taking a vacation in Jan. We are experienced divers who are looking for AI Resort amenitites and comforts with a great dive operation offering small dive groups geared to different dive levels, interesting dives with long bottom times. After 2 dives we like to do other activites like long beach walks (thinking 7 mile beach). Enjoy good food and drink options at resort. Please suggest the best resorts/dive companies for us to dive with.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

Really no AIs and your bottom time will depend on your air consumption (and that of your buddy). The rule the ops in the Cayman Islands is back on the boat with 500psi in the tank. So bottom time depends on you. You might want to check out ops like Sunset House (hotel that caters to divers), Compass Point (Dve Tech) and Ocean Frontiers on the EE (would not be my choice during winter, but great otherwise). AI's are not big in Grand Cayman however, you might find something in Little Cayman more to your liking. Diving is more regulated in the Cayman Islands and some divers get annoyed that they have to stick to the rules, but that is the way it is. A liveaboard like the Cayman Aggressor would fill the AI/diving part of what you are looking for. None of the places I mentioned are actually on the beach . . can't think of any dive op with accomodation that is. How about renting a condo and breaking up your diving with shore dives and different ops?

Edited: 30 September 2012, 15:38
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

In general, all-inclusives are not found on Grand Cayman since it is safe to travel about the island an experience the plethora of dinning and drinking establishments at all price ranges.

Cobalt Coast in West Bay, just past Seven Mile Beach offers all-inclusive packages but it is located on iron-shore and you would need to walk or some ways to find a sandy beach.

http://www.cobaltcoast.com/

If you are able to consider staying on Little Cayman or Cayman Brac and stomach a short 30 minute flight to reach their renowned diving you'll have many more all-inclusive dive options, almost all have sandy beaches.

Check-out

On Cayman Brac:

Brac Reef Resort - http://www.bracreef.com/index.html

Little Cayman:

Little Cayman Beach Resort - http://www.littlecayman.com/

Southern Cross Club - http://southerncrossclub.com/

Pirates Point - http://www.piratespointresort.com/

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,687 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

I would suggest checking out Cobalt Coast or some of the dive operations on Little Cayman. Definitely more difficult to get to the smaller islands but it would be what I would describe as a "trip of a lifetime."

idaho
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

Thank you for your detailed input. I am looking at Little Caymen Beach Resort; just wanted to make sure I was not missing a resort that would meet our desires! Thanks again

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

I think based on what you are looking for you will be happier there. I have many friends in GC, a daughter who lives there and a home and find the diving fun and easy so for me it is an easy go to. I have been to many Carib islands and find GC pretty much on the top of the heap, but it is easy diving/snorkeling (lots to see, but the secape lends itself to extremely user friendly). Diving holidays like the GBR and the next trip in the making to the Galapolos need more diver input. That said I truly love diving in and around Grand Cayman and I have had some truly amazing experiences. Happy diving!!!

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

You really need to check out Cobalt Coast. They offer flexible packages, one of which is completely AI. Cobalt Coast is a small, boutique resort located away from the crowds in a quiet, mostly residential part of the island. Unlike Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, you can be diving within an hour of your arrival on Cayman and you can keep diving until 18 hrs before your plan leaves.

You get 24 hr. unlimited shore diving from two sites. Two-tank boat dives each day, mostly along the north wall (spectacular sites). Excellent food, and unlike most AIs, you can choose off the menu. If you do the AI choice (my wife and I do the meal plan, without the extras) you also get a dinner dinner off-site and a rental car. Honestly, Cobalt Coast is our favorite dive location. You owe it to yourself to at least check out the website.

7. Re: Experienced divers looking for AI activities and comfort!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman