We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

new jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

What is the difference between "Stingray City" and "Stingray Sandbar"

Thank you!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

Water depth. You can stand up at the sandbar but not at Stingray City.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

The water is 14ft deep at Stringray City. My sister & I dove while my husband snorkeled above us. He could see everything and it is a beautiful snorkel site.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

Unless a SCUBA diver or freediver, the Sand Bar is usually the best initial experieince IMHO.

Picture of the Sand Bar:

diversdown.net/new-photos/…20Marketing_31.jpg

Picture of the dive site from a snorkelers perspective:

…ggpht.com/_oHw4qD8G8Do/…IMGP0484.JPG

Edited: 17 October 2012, 19:59
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

I think it also has to do with how confident you are in the water. My daughter had her first experience with the rays when she was 4 years old. She snorkeled at Stingray City and absolutely loved it. She was however extremely comfortable in the water and knew how to snorkel. The op provided a vest for her although we had equipment anyway. Stingray City is 12 to 15ft deep and the Sandbar is 3 to 5 ft deep and you walk around. If you have a kid is around 4ft high and is good in the water they might rather be where they have more freedom. It really just depends on you and your party. For those who are not at all comfy in the water, you can go on a glass bottom boat. Really it depends on your personal comfort levels! In addition to the places T mentioned you can go to stingraycity.org and even YouTube . . .

5. Re: Stingray City vs. Stingray Sandbar"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2013, 10:17