We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

We're looking into tours for our stay in January. I'm seeing pickup at the hotel for locations on seven mile beach, but nothing for the East End - Morritt's or Reef. Are there any tour companies that arrange outings from the East End area?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

That's one of the reasons you need a car on the East End. It is not a place to stay without one at any time of the year. Many of the tours to Stingray City etc leave from just across from SMB (the Yacht Club, Safehaven, Camana Bay) etc. It would not be feasible for the ops to pick up and drop off from the East End for that reason and because there are just way fewer guests so it is not economically feasible for them. In addition, water sports like parasailing, diving etc are more limited on the EE during the winter months because of prevailing winds so the ops stick to other parts of the island as well. Ocean Frontiers does go to Stingray City from Rum Point, but you would have to check with them to see if they do transport. In any event, staying out East without a car is not really a good idea. Driving on the island is easy! There are many discussions about car companies like McCurleys that will take you out there from the airport and arrange the car if you don't want to drive immediately! Have you checked with the concierge of either The Reef or Morrits to see if they arrange anything on particular days?

Edited: 28 November 2012, 23:00
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

Yep - rent a car a must on the East End. IMO.

B.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

Try white sand water sports at the Reef

http://whitesandwatersports.com/

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

We have rented a car for the first week of our stay and thought we would explore the island extensively during that time. I was just wondering if there were any tour operators that focused on the East End vs. Seven Mile Beach area. Thanks for the heads up on White Sand Water Sports. I'll check that out.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

What is it that you want to tour? The nice thing about GC is if you have a car you can do all the land based stuff yourself.

B.

Philadelphia...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

As I remember, Morritt's has an island tour one day a week for guests. I've never taken it, but it is on the activity list they give us.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

The Reef has some tours, such as into Georgetown a couple days of the week, the botanical garden, and Camana Bay. They do a Wednesday charter to Sting Ray City, with transportation included to/from Rum Point. They may have additional offerings which you could get info on by e-mailing the concierge (check The Reef's website and fill out the information request form) Since these are optional and cost additional , they'd probably welcome any participants on these tours even if you are not staying there.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

Thanks for the info. I'm used to doing a lot of planning up front and also good communication from the Resort regarding opportunities. Maybe it's because we're traveling on a "freebie", but I haven't had much luck with any info from the Morritt's. I work for a resort and one of the perks is free timeshare exchange. I'm assuming because I'm not a "paying guest" we're sort of overlooked. Dunno...but thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

We found communications with The Reef to be quite good, using either the information form they have on their website or the e-mail addresses listed. The responses were not necessarily immediate, but certainly within a day or two. Many people have problems getting responses from GC via e-mail (not just from Morritt's) so you may have to make a few phone calls to get the info you want.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours - Pick Up at East End - Morritt's

Are you e-mailing or calling? I just googled them and found this right on their website

Dollar Car Rentals – available from the Lobby

Airport Transportation available from Front Desk

Daily Shuttle Bus into GeorgeTown

Island Tour by Bus – Weekly from the lobby

Don't think it is fair to assume that a "freebie" guest is treated differently than anyone else unless you know it to be for a fact. E-mails as mentioned many times are not the way to contact business in GC (service industry or otherwise) and they may be somewhat confused as to what you are looking for as they have a daily bus to GT and and weekly Island tour. Watersports are at the mercy of the weather especially during winter on the EE. At any of the hotels, you make these arrangements with the concierge etc, when you arrive or if you want to make plans for diving etc., prior to going, you call the op directly and tell them what you want. I do lots of up front planning as well especially with regard to dive boats when I know it is a busy time, but I just make the calls myself. Good luck!