We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling as good as they say?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
421 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling as good as they say?

We are trying to decide on our next vacation....after Costa Rica. Belize sounds pretty good right now because it's similar to Costa Rica and it has snorkeling to offer...

How good is the snorkeling in the Grand Cayman? Can we go by ourselves? Is there enough shore snorkeling for those who are not expert swimmers?

I assume the Grand Cayman is $$$? We are budgeting $2500 for the entire one week trip in the summer....

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

San Diego...
Level Contributor
421 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

Thanks kiddos!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

Your holiday dollar will go much much further in Costa Rica than it will in than it will in Grand Cayman so be prepared. That said the Cayman Islands are constantly written up as one of the best dive locations in the world . . . that works for both those diving with tanks and those diving with snorkels!!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

I really don't see many similarities at all between Grand Cayman and Costa Rica except they are both in tropical climates. That being said the snorkeling and especially the diving are much better in Grand Cayman than the Pacific side of Costa Rica.

B.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

FWIW, never snorkeled in Belize, but have been researching a snorkel trip to one of the cayes. AFAIK, there is very limited from shore snorkeling off mainland Belize as well as many of the more popular cayes like Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. The better snorkeling there appears to be reached via boat.

There does appear to be excellent snorkeling off some of the more remote cayes that is easily reached from shore.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 22:29
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

I've been to both Cayman and Belize. Belize is the most expensive Central American destination. I was in Placencia so the only snorkeling was by boat, but it was pretty terrific. If you want to snorkel from shore in Belize, Ambergis or Caye Caulker would be good choices.

That said, I do love to snorkel in Cayman. Do it every trip, and I've been going since 1975.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

"Snorkeling as good as they say?"

Yes!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
421 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

Ha I bet! I will have to find a good deal for this summer!

Hyannis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

We are arriving by cruise ship...are there any decent places to snorkel near where the tenders drop off? If not, any recommendations on where to snorkel? We will need to rent gear also...any recommendations on a dive shop?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling as good as they say?

CapeEscapees, see TOP QUESTION on the upper right, "Where to find Shore Excursion Information & Recommendations for Cruise Ship Visitors," and "Where is the best snorkeling and diving from shore?"