We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Opinions

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Opinions

Hello,

We will be staying at the Ritz for 7 night in July. We have two kids ages 7 and 10. They enjoy a good meal. We are thinking of the following restaurants for dinner. Please give me your opinion on if we should take any of the list. I have more on the list than nights we are staying.

Brassierie

Sunshine Grill

Edoardos

Pappagallo

Ragazzi

Copper Falls

Cracked Conch

Grand Old House

Prime

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Grill
Sunshine Grill
5,079 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Edoardo's
Edoardo's
1,411 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,192 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Cracked Conch by the Sea
The Cracked Conch by the...
1,075 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Old House
Grand Old House
666 Reviews
Grand Cayman
1. Re: Restaurant Opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 20:54
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Opinions

Hello, my husband and I have been to GC 3 times and are returning this may. We have been to all of the restaurants you mention except for prime and brassierie. The brassierie is on our list for this trip. Your kids will love sunshine grill. So will you. We love edoardos and papagallo and have been to both of those on our previous visits. They are more expensive restaurants and not where I would take 7 and 10 year olds but that does not mean that they will not like it. We have been to ragazzis also and there are always lots of kids. Instead of the grand old house, I would suggest the wharf. My husband and I went to grand old house last year and we were disappointed. We went to the wharf on our first visit maybe three years ago and both agreed that it was better than goh. The kids can watch the tarpon at the wharf and see them fed. The cracked conch is on a property with another restaurant (can't remember name) that is like a tiki bar. You sit outside, incredible view, divers walking by to enter the water right at the edge of the dock. I think kids would love it. We ate at copper falls once on our first trip. I thought it was really over-rated. The steak was okay, nothing special. the veggies seemed canned to me. For the dollars I would go someplace else. Regarding cracked conch, that is on our list this year for dinner Instead of lunch outside at the tiki bar. For a casual lunch chicken chicken is good and simple as well as ciamboco (sp?).

For what it is worth, here is my list for this may: Brassierie, Pappagallo, cracked conch, luca (maybe for brunch) edoardos, sunshine grill (lunch), abacus, and maybe casanovas again. I will have to research prime. Have not heard of it.

I hope you enjoy your trip. We love GC but it is expensive in its own right and then you add in the exchange rate difference and it makes for expensive dining. But you only go around once!

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Pappagallo
Ristorante Pappagallo
1,047 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
71 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Opinions

Thanks for all of the tips. Last year we went to Aruba and the kids loved all of the fine dining restaurants. We are looking forward to another wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Opinions

Deckers is also an excellent option for dinner close to the Ritz. Wonderful lobster mac n cheese and angus burgers in addition to other items more for a foodies palette. One of our favorites for sure.

Definitely have to also echo grabbing dinner at Camana Bay. We love Ortanique for the water side dining but you can't go wrong with any of the restaurants there!

Mentioned in this post
Camana Bay
Camana Bay
564 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Opinions

The Good:

I'd take Grand Old House over The Wharf any day. They have tarpon feedings as well but it isn't the circus like atmosphere of The Wharf. I'd also echo Retrip in suggestion restaurants like Luca, Morgan's Harbour, and some of the fine dining options at Caymana Bay.

The Bad:

"Foodies palette" is not a term I would associate with Deckers. Nor would I expect to go to a steak house on a caribbean island to find reasonably priced meals of the caliber found in any major city or anywhere else where meat doesn't need to be flown in frozen. Prime might be the exception but it will cost you, dearly. The Cracked Conch is literally around the corner from my house but I won't eat there anymore. While the view is lovely, the food is overpriced and average at best.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Old House
Grand Old House
666 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Wharf
The Wharf
1,068 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Luca Restaurant
Luca Restaurant
1,708 Reviews
Grand Cayman
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Opinions

I typed a reply to this before it had any responses and strangely it didn't post.... No matter, I echo a lot of what's been said above. I would ditch Sunshine Grill, Ragazzi, Cracked Conch, , Edoardo's, Copper Falls. In the case of the last two it isn't because they are bad restaurants at all, in fact both are still putting out great food. It's just that you can get equal or better food closer to home, the Cayman price point means that Copper Falls charges the same as top steakhouses in the US. Feel free if you have spare time as both can still provide a great meal.

I would add Abacus, Ortanique, the Ritz Sunday Brunch and Morgan's Harbour to your list. Prime is a great choice, many people love Papagallo's (I do not) and GOH is better than the Wharf. I don't know anyone who goes to the Wharf, Cracked Conch, Calypso Grill or Deckers for dinner anymore

Agua has a lot of good reviews from friends but I haven't eaten a proper meal there so can't say for sure. Karma has good sushi, as does Yoshi

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Grill
Sunshine Grill
5,079 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Cracked Conch by the Sea
The Cracked Conch by the...
1,075 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Edoardo's
Edoardo's
1,411 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,192 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Wharf
The Wharf
1,068 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Calypso Grill
Calypso Grill
1,736 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Agua Restaurant & Lounge
Agua Restaurant & Lounge
1,309 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Opinions

" I don't know anyone who goes to the Wharf for dinner anymore"

We do : ) It is always on our short list of restaurants we like.

Mentioned in this post
The Wharf
The Wharf
1,068 Reviews
Grand Cayman
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Opinions

Kiddos, you are the 1%

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Opinions

You have some of our regular dining places on your list. We have been going to Copper Falls at least once and sometimes twice during our stay. Pappagalo's was a highlight last trip. Ragazzi is a definite stop for us. Grand Old House and Edoardo's are also in the mix. And another fine dining that we love is 7 Prime Cuts right at Ritz.

Mentioned in this post
Copper Falls Steakhouse
Copper Falls Steakhouse
1,192 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Old House
Grand Old House
666 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Edoardo's
Edoardo's
1,411 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Opinions

It is really interesting to read all of the comments on this post, particularly regarding grand old house vs the wharf and also morgans harbour. i stick with my recommendation of the wharf over grand d house. as for morgans harbour, we went there 3 diff times. it was without a doubt the absolute worst food that we have had on gc. the view is much better at the cracke d conch so if the food is average at cracked conch that beats absolutely terrible at morgans harbour and a marginal view!