We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

New Hope...
Level Contributor
759 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

I am sure all our Caymanian experts have read this, but this should be of interest to cruise ship people and those not staying on Seven Mile Beach who want to access the beach.

compasscayman.com/caycompass/…

Edited: 09 February 2013, 16:11
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

Hi George -- still can't figure out where on the back of all this they are planning on putting the addtional day visitors when they put in the ship berthing. Maybe they are going to build one of those fake islands for them!!!

reg

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Grand Cayman
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

Clever deal,the development will make that area of beach the most attractive to guests and Dart develops the new flagship hotel. These plans make more sense than the ones i read about a few years ago that involved pedestrianising the whole area and building a sort of promenade of shops,bars and restaurants all facing the beach. while the latter idea sounds more impressive, I think the new plans will return better long term results

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

I am all for the new plan -- just not the berths for the ships!!! If the new area turns out as well planned as Camana Bay, the island will have a truly lovely beautiful new asset!

Mentioned in this post
Camana Bay
Camana Bay
564 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

For the long time visitors...where did the cruise folks go back in the mid 2000's when the arrival numbers where at their record highs? The loss of Beach Club Colony and Spanish Bay appear to have been offset with Tiki Beach and Rum Point Club, so I can only imagine what the other places may have looked like on a heavy cruise day.

Fake islands you say, humm...wonder what Dart is planning for Ivory Kai (the Starfish Beach peninsula)???? I hear it is a resort, but you never know for who...

Mentioned in this post
Tiki Beach
Tiki Beach
310 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Rum Point Club
Rum Point Club
111 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Orangevale...
Level Contributor
234 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

I read this article, is the construction slated for 2013 or 2014? It gave months (Feb, April, etc) but not the year. Concerned, since we are visiting for our first time April 20, 2013. Although on the map it looks to be at least a mile from Westin where we are booked.

Also, does this mean cruise passengers would be coming ashore much closer to Westin? One of the reasons we picked it was the distance from cruise ship tender area...

Edited: 09 February 2013, 18:16
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,463 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

The cruise passengers can only come into the port (or when the conditions are not good they come in to a designated spot on the South Side of the island). It is truly unlikely you will see them unless you go to the public beaches, Rum Point, or other main tourist draws while the ships are actually in port. The construction also should have no impact on you. It is well below where the Westin is located and for the many years that Camana Bay (another Dart project) was underway, we were not bothered by it . . . it actually borders where I am. If anything every effort was taken to keep the whole area screened off, trees were planted along the roadway ahead of time, etc. While the beaches are for all to enjoy along the water line (and many do enjoy jogging, walking) up and down SMB, you will not be bothered by hordes of people!

Mentioned in this post
Rum Point
Rum Point
2,443 Reviews
Grand Cayman
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
578 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Camana Bay
Camana Bay
564 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Orangevale...
Level Contributor
234 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

Thanks Retrip! So the new project is going on soon I take it? Looking at a map, the area referenced I believe is north of the Westin? But not very near.

I did find the link to cruise ship passenger info here in the forums, we will be using that info to help plan our adventures.

Thanks so much for sharing what you know!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
578 Reviews
Grand Cayman
England
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

We have booked Harbour Heights (adjoining property) at the beginning of May. Will there be much disruption/noise to properties around this new development? This is our first time to Cayman (from England) and would appreciate any ideas on this. We need a peaceful vacation. Would it be better to change our reservation? Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 09:17
Mentioned in this post
Harbour Heights
Harbour Heights
182 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

I think you should be fine.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
312 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Changes Coming To The Public Beach

Totally agree with Smushie. Almost all of the work to public beach will be completed by May 22... no reason ;-) and the hotel is at the far end of the beach away from you. Harbour Heights is very pleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Heights
Harbour Heights
182 Reviews
Grand Cayman