We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish on grand cayman island

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
jellyfish on grand cayman island

How bad are the jellyfish supposed to be in March? I'm going mar 17-24 this year. What types of jellyfish inhabit the area?

1. Re: jellyfish on grand cayman island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 23:25
Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jellyfish on grand cayman island

There are lots of different species of true jellyfish and comb jellyfish in the waters off Cayman. Whether they are a bother is a really up to the currents and your sensitivity.

I on occasion come across: Sea Walnuts, Moon Jellies, Siphonophores, Sea Thimbles, Mangrove Upsidedown Jellies and Sea Wasps.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jellyfish on grand cayman island

I have been there twice in the time frame that you are looking at and spent alot of time in the water. There are jellyfish and they do occasionally sting (like a pinching sensation) but they were more of a minor irritation that did not lead to any problems than a major issue. When I was there no one was staying out of the water due to jellyfish.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jellyfish on grand cayman island

I got stung on the lip by something in January, and it was annoying for a few hours, then gone. I swell really easily and was expecting a hive, but nope.

Saw a few jellyfish in the water - not sure what type they were but I got pictures because they were so unique.

I would say they were walnut looking things. And, very few of them.

I did wear a 1mm skin pretty much all day every day - so I dont have to deal with suntan lotion - not because of stinging things. But that could be why I only got bit on the uncovered part of me.

suitcaseready.com

5. Re: jellyfish on grand cayman island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman