We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

Rye Beach, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

I found White Sands Condos (Northern end of SMB) today and they sound perfect for us. But then I noticed on Google Maps that they are right next to a large marsh. For a resident of a coastal Northern New England this spells trouble, as here a proximity to a marsh equals swarms and swarms of vicious mosquitos... Are we in danger of those in such a location in December on GC?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

A marsh? I think what you're referring to are mangroves, or more appropriately mango swamp. That would describe a significant portion of the "land" mass of the Cayman Islands and there has been a long history of extensive mosquito control work on the island. White Sands are a nice condo and you're no more or less likely to get bitten there than anywhere else on Seven Mile Beach.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 02:41
GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

I used to live at White Sands. Great complex.

Even quieter now that the road has been moved.

Rye Beach, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

Well, I am glad I was wrong thinking it was a marsh - there was a Marsh Road there after all :) I am also happy to hear that GC has a good mosquito control program. It was hard to find any recent info about the White Sands - certainly not as popular as CRR :) Thanks for your responses!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

CRR? Cayman Reef Resort in southern Seven Mile Beach?

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

White Sands is a small complex ...maybe that's why you have not read much about it.....could be some people have long term rentals

Rye Beach, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

kiddos, yes, that's the one I meant - rental listings for that one are so abundant.

caymanshelly, that's what I thought too. But I was disappointed to find out that they don't have a pool. My older one would really miss that, I think.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

aelita

We stayed in Grand Cayman without a pool for over 30 years. Our kids just played in the ocean and had a great time.

Rye Beach, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

You're absolutely right, caymanshelly! We went to Tortola when (and where) our older DD turned four, and there was no pool at the place we stayed in Cane Garden Bay. We never missed it!.. But she is over nine now and was not happy to hear that there'd be none in GC. Oh well, she'll get over it by playing with her sister in the ocean LOL

And YES, I did make the reservation with them today!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

while nice to have a pool, not a necessity:-). We only use the pools during late afternoon for a quick dip or on those rare SMB days when the waters are too rough to enjoy due to a passing weather front.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A marsh on GC = Mosquitos?

Bring along some blow up rafts ...the kids always had fun either just floating round, riding the waves if a storm came in, or having fun tipping each other off

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman