We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Grand Cayman Finale...

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Our Grand Cayman Finale...

We've been traveling to Grand Cayman annually for over 10 years. 2013 will be our last year (condo timeshare expiration) and we want to make sure we haven't missed a thing before saying bon voyage to this beautiful island.

We have experienced every tourist trap (many first timers joined us over the years) so not looking for those. One of our favorite days is renting scooters to explore the island, buying local fish in Georgetown, grilling at home and ending the evening at Royal Palms with a bucket of corona's in the water at sunset (what we call our redneck sunset experience).

Is there anything new that has become an ah-ha experience (we tend to stay with the same ole favorites year after year)?

Any must-experience restaurants that we have missed?

On our list that we have yet to explore are Vivienne's and Botanical Gardens.

My husband dives, I sun bathe! We are pretty low-key travelers and like to enjoy the local experiences.

Appreciate anything that we might have missed that you all have added to your repertoire.

Things we have already enjoyed:

Rolands Garden

Warf

Grand Ole House

Hemmingways

Calico Jack's Full Moon Party

Coconut Joes

Lobster Pot

Cracked Conch

Pappagallo's

Eduardos

Lonestar

Rackhams

Hard Rock

Mojito's at Havana Club

Lighthouse

Carnival

Sting Ray City

Dolphin Excursion

Boatswain Turtle Farm

Marriott Solana Lobster Night

Stingers fire show

Jet Skis

Parasailing

Hell

Ritz Carlton Rain spa

Rum Point

Georgetown Shopping

Barefoot Man

Atlantis

Bodden Town

Morgan's Harbour

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

I should add that we are coming in May (during carnival), and are red wine and beer lovers. We've already toured Caybrew which was a great experience.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

I would definitely add Camana Bay. Do the observation tower (bring the camera) and go early enough to walk around and stop at any of the many excellent restaurants. Love Ortinque (great spot for Happy Hour drinks/food wonderful, but so is dinner!), Michael Genuine's, haven't tried Karoo yet, but here great things. If you are there in the afternoon go by Black Trumpet for tea and a snack!

Luca is fantastic, same owners as Ragazzi, but more upscale. Morgan's Harbour is absolutely wonderful (they along with Michael's are known for taking a good portion of the fresh catch). We really enjoyed the helicopter tour (it was set up as a surprise and it was great). Cayman Cabana (old Hammerheads next to the fishmarket) is a great spot as is Macabuca by the turtle farm. I would also include a trip to Kaibo, Tukka and or the Lighthouse if I wanted a more thorough experience. You could also snorkel the Kittiwake while your husband dives. If you ever get back it will be interesting to see how life on the ship has evolved. Anway these are just a few thoughts!!!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

I was also going to add Camana Bay to your list - some great places there, and based on what I have seen so far it doesn't get too crazy crowded.

We also like Alfresco when we were there for the first time last year - great oceanside outdoor dining.

I hope you will be back at some point - I know we keeping coming back...

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

Since you have been to most of the tried and true tourist spots, why not consider visiting some of the hidden gems so to speak.

Pay a visit to Doc Carey at his Black Coral Clinic shack and be prepared to shoot the breeze for a bit and maybe purchase a token to preserve some Cayman memories.

Pick up some mementos at Pure Art.

Have lunch at one of the Jerk Pits or Fish Fry joints.

Have a dinner at Kaibo's beach BBQ via the water taxi.

Take a bio-bay tour if the timing of the moon's phase works out.

Dine at Calypso Grill or Osetra Bay if you have not.

Go on a sunset cruise.

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

Thank you all for your feedback. We'll add Camana Bay to our list for sure. We also love the jerk pits and fish fry ideas. We visited one or two on our way to the blowholes (the local "tour guide" is one of our funniest moments but he does know his stuff).

Sad to hear that Hammerheads is gone. We did do Jolly Roger sunset cruise years ago but I'll check out the other ideas and restaurants that you have suggested. Also like the the bio-bay idea. Thanks again!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

If you go to the Botanical Garden, be sure to go on the Cayman Iguana Recovery Program tour daily at 11 except Sunday. It was very interesting

Tampa, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

Thank you so much for the great information. We are in Grand Cayman from 8am to 3pm in Feb via Carnival cruise. My husband really wants to Jet Ski. Do you have any suggestions about some places then maybe a place near on the beach for lunch????

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

whytetownsend, Tiki Beach is a great option although sometimes it can get crowded with cruise ship passengers. There's a nice beach with jet skis and a great restaurant and bar right on the beach. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147365-d4…

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

Kmarquardt, I didn't see Tukka on your list. And as previously mentioned, don't miss pit BBQ and fish fry! If you did only Stingray City and not the Sandbar, the latter is definitely worth a visit.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Grand Cayman Finale...

I would head east. The botanical gardens are not to be missed! Have dinner at over the edge or Tukka or Kaibo. Go to Rum Point when there aren't a lot of cruise ships in town. The bioluminescence tour is really great. Your husband should dive with Ocean Frontiers on the east end for a different dive experience.

On 7MB Blue by Eric Ripert is a wonderful restaurant not to be missed if finances allow

B.