We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

We will visiting Gran Cayman in june, actually staying in 7 mile beach at the Marriott.

We will be renting a car so traveling is not a problem.

what wer looking for is a nice local, off the beat restaurant, that servers Lobster or seafood in a traditional way.. something that we can sit directly on the beach or have a nice view with.

Can you recommend anything in that sense, nothing big on tourists, just something clam and delicious?

thank you

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

We are for the most part all tourists who make these recommendations!!! That said the residents and locals in GC eat at same restaurants as visitors do. There are some places in GT near the port that really cater to the cruise ship crowd and they are very obvious -- big welcoming signs!! Conch is a big thing on the island you can find on menus all over. Some places that are on the water that serve it My Bar at Sunset House and Macabuca. However I can't help you with lobster on the beach. Outside lobster season most of it is flown in from other islands and personally I don't like Carib (warm water) lobbies -- no comparison to the ones that come from places like Maine. However there are places like Deckers that have an all you can eat lobster night. It is not on the beach. Check out some options in caymanrestaurantguide.com and caymangoodtaste.com. Also ask the servers at the Marriott what's happening where. They know if anything special is going on. Overall the food on the island is top notch and anywhere the food is good people find the path. Also google restaurants postings here -- there are hundreds of them.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

Not had the lobster there, nor eaten since a new chef came on board and the place was re-done, but South Coast Bar & Grill has a weekly lobster special and waterfront tables strewn about the small beach there.

Also while tourist undoubtedly eat there, it is not what one would generally associate with being a touristy restaurant.

http://www.southcoastbar.com/index.php

Edited: 21 April 2013, 16:31
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

I had what they called lobster breakers at Southcoast for lunch..definitely more than enuf for dinner. My husand and I shared for lunch. it was very good and we were the only people there. It was lobster chunks in a sauce...can't remember what else. it was delicious

Edited: 21 April 2013, 17:54
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

I'm not sure you're going to find exactly what you're looking for. You're looking for off the beaten path, but on an island, the beach is THE beaten path. You mention something that isn't touristy but sitting in the sand and eating dinner is what tourists regularly ask about on TA.

That said, if you're looking for local seafood I would suggest Heritage Kitchen in West Bay. Mostly local crowd, delicious fresh fish, and you can sit on the sea wall or on the beach below it while you eat out of a Styrofoam box. I grab dinner there regularly and highly recommend the escovitch. They also have coconut battered fish but that really isn't a local flavor. Neither is lobster since you'll most likely be eating a frozen/thawed atlantic lobster anywhere you go.

5. Re: Local restaurants, Lobster/Seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:18