We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

My family (two young girls and wife) is going to GC this August and I am thinking about staying at Sunshine Suites or Turtle nest inn. We want to snorkel a lot and don't plan on eating out a lot. I can get an oceanfront room at turtle nest inn which would be cool. I am pretty sure the snorkeling would be better at Turtle nest inn but we will have a car in either location. We do like to do long walks/hikes and I thought sunshine suites might be better for this. Costs are pretty similiar for both. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

If you like to snorkel, will have a car and an oceanfront room/condo appeals to you, the Turtle Nest Inn would fit the bill. Choose something there that would accomodate 4 people comfortably, though. Four people in one room will be a little cramped. You might be able to afford a condo there if the cost of the car is included.

The beach there is not the same as along Seven Mile Beach but many people rave about the Turtle Nest Inn. I have been on the property and it is very unique.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

OK so does the beauty of 7 mile beat out the view of TNI and the snorkeling at TNI? Is the snorkeling at sunshine suites good enough?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

Agree Turtle Nest fits well for snorkling, but if you also want easy access to gorgeous SMB and various other options, Sunshine Suites the stellar choice.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

I have to agree with Kiddos (she really has researched the places she posts about).

Since you have a car you can easily (ie. with minimal time) get to SMB or (since you want to snorkel) to the north side of the island.

If you have not done this yet, check out Testudo's snorkel guide: http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

SMB offers pristine beaches and a view of calm seas. TNI offiers much better snorkeling, the same blue/aqua seas.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 01:16
Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
623 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

Sunshine Suites is in the Seven Mile Beach main tourist zone. It is across the street from the Seven Mile Beach, so there wouldn't be great snorkeling just off the beach there. The sea bottom at the beach is white sand - no turtle grass etc.

The Turtle Nest Inn is on the beach in Bodden Town, and there are coral heads (and a reef) with good snorkeling right out in front of the hotel. I'm not sure whether or not there is turtle grass at their beach rather than a white sand sea bottom. I haven't stayed there so others who have stayed at Turtle Nest Inn would be able to tell you more about that.

For long walks/hikes you could take a long walk along the beach at either of those places. The Seven Mile Beach is a much more pristine beach for a long walk and great sunsets as it is on the west side of the island, so you might prefer those features. If by "long walks" you mean being able to walk along a sidewalk for a long distance, then Sunshine Suites would be the place for that. There are few or no sidewalks in the Bodden Town area, where Turtle Nest Inn is located.

The "Mastic Trail" is quite a bit closer to Turtle Nest Inn than to Sunshine Suites (figure somewhere around 25 minutes more driving time from Sunshine Suites). Be sure to hike that with the National Trust guide though. You can read reviews on the Mastic Trail here on TripAdvisor. There is a nature trail in the Botanic Park too that you can do on your own. That also is a lot closer to Turtle Nest Inn than to Sunshine Suites.

The two properties are quite different and are located in very different areas of the island, so read the reviews of each on TripAdvisor to help you decide which is most suited to your plans.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

thanks everyone!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

" OK so does the beauty of 7 mile beat out the view of TNI and the snorkeling at TNI?"

The view of the blue Caribbean Sea is beautiful no matter where on the island you stay. Seven Mile Beach does not have a monopoly on that!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

True, the differing views from various locations are all beautiful. Be sure to take a drive to see the blowholes!

We love the view from West Bay (Alfresco restaurant) looking south towards Georgetown....fabulous panorama of SMB.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

Ok, so we will stay on seven mile beach. Partly because my wife is a marathoner and needs to run daily. I think a kitchen would be best as we don't need to eat out much and want to save some money. Should I look at condos like white sands or places like the comfort inn?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunshine suites resort or turtle nest inn?

White Sands is a great little complex and running on the beach is a great option for staying in shape while on vacation.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman