We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Hi everyone,

We are a group of 6 people 25-35 from NYC / Cali heading to GCM and staying at the Marriott in late May. Arriving on Thursday and leaving on Sunday, I'm looking for some advise on the best way to enjoy our short time on the island. We will not be renting a car.

We'd like to go to Stingray City and Rum Point, and possibly Governor's Beach. We can book a trip to Stingray City that provides transportation, maybe we can ask the driver to drop us off somewhere other than our hotel at SMB after? Where should we ask him to drop us off to catch one of the other sights? Is it worthwhile to visit the other beaches or would it be enough just to enjoy SMB?

What is the best way to get around since we are 6 people?

For nightlife - I've read both that the bars / clubs close around midnight / 1am, but also that at some places things don't get started until late (midnight) - So I'm a little confused on how that works. What time should we go out to these places and are they within walking distance from our hotel? What time do they actually close?

Thursday - happy hour at Coconut Joe's Beach Bar & Grill and then...?

Friday - Aqua Beach then Jet, O Bar

Saturday - Calico Jacks

Do any of these places charge an entrance fee? What should we wear when we go out (casual beach attire or high heels, jackets and club wear)?

Thanks in advance for your help! Have a great day.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Sting Ray City - Capt Marvins Tours

Rum Point - Red Sail have evening cruises from Safehaven across the bay and you dine in the restaurant before returning about 9 to star gaze as you sail back. Hotel may get you to Safehaven.

7MB - walk through the Marriot down to the beach at the back, turn right and keep walking. Voila 7MB. Governors Beach is a 2 mile walk from where you are. For peace and a little more tranquility try Cemetery Beach another 1.5/2 miles from Governors. You will walk past public beach and Calico Jacks on the way. Failing that get a WB bus.

Best way to get around if your not renting will be by bus. Just stand at the road side and the WB buses will stop. Fare is $2 on the route to Georgetown or West Bay. At the library in GT is the bus 'terminal' where you can catch buses to other parts of the island. Obviously taxi's is another mode and if you are sharing the cost between 6 may not be too expensive.

You have plenty of places around your hotel for night life and dress is casual. Its getting warm here now so as Phil Collins once said 'No Jacket Required'. Even Blue at the Ritz doesn't expect a jacket... high heels.. well not sure about the Jimmy Choo's or Christian Louboutins.

Night life in general I'm afraid I've had my time.... cup of tea, biscuit and bed for 10pm now... Happy Days :) Enjoy your time in Cayman.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

On weekdays, O bar and Jet close at 3am but both are busiest after midnight, people are at bars before then. I'd skip Joes on thursday, Aqua Beach is equally close and better. Personally I'd avoid them both and go to lonestar on a Thursday

O Bar is best on a Friday, Calicos on a Saturday. A lot of day drinking and bar hopping goes on at Camana bay; Karoo, Abacus

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Just back from my beach walk down to the Marriot and walked past The Royal Palms... forgot to mention that place... Lost of day & night life there...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

You can dress casually almost anywhere and you'll be hot in a jacket but I always wear heels when I go out. :-)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

I always wear heels when I go out. :-)

smushie, that is a sight I would love to see : )

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Awkward.

New York City
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Thanks everyone!

I'm excited for the trip. Will keep an eye out for Cemetery Beach.

I was hoping to avoid lonestar since we're from the states and all, how is lonestar different from the typical NYC bar?

Saturday sounds like Calicos for sure.

Friday seems like Aqua beach / Jet / Obar. In this order? What time should we get there?

Karoo and Abacus are in Camana bay, for 6 people can we all fit in one taxi or would we have to split up? Is it walkable from the hotel? Is this good for Thursday or should we just hang out at Coconut Joe's?

Again, thanks for all the tips!

Really appreciated. Have a great day.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

LoneStar is a real locals hangout and for good reason. It has a special vibe. It is an institution on the island for good reason. Scotty, DJ and the rest of the bartenders just get it right. You can find people from every walk of life in GC hanging out. I'm from NY and have travelled all over the US -- it is the sort of place you seek out to get some good local flavour.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

Camana Bay is about a 15 minute walk from the Marriott but I find it a nice walk. Karoo and Abacus are more happy hour type places so you might want to start there on Friday and then head to Karma/Aqua Beach/Jet and voila you are right by the hotel when Jet closes. You've picked a great location as far as wanting to be close to the nightlife. I think the DJ at Karma starts at 9 on a Friday so I would aim to be there around 10 and then work back to Aqua and Jet. Definitely Calicos on Saturday. It is about 2.5 miles north of the Marriott so you'll want to hop in a cab. The cabs are all mini buses though so can easily fit 6. Have fun!

10. Re: Itinerary help - activities and nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:19