We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local fish

chicago
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
local fish

are grouper and conch the only local fresh fish served? if so, where are some good places to get blackened grouper and conch ceviche? i wont have a car so somewhere i can walk to on 7 mile or take the bus

price isnt as issue, i like road shacks and fine dining, just looking for delicious food : )

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: local fish

Ortanique at Camana Bay rotates their Ceviche of the Day regularly so may have conch. It will be walking distance for you from Comfort Suites. I believe the conch season just ended on April 30th though so may be harder to find conch ceviche however many restaurants will have conch fritters. Agua is also walking distance for you and has a lot of seafood on the menu. I love their Tuna Tartare but I wouldn't rave about their selection of Main dishes. Many of my friends really love it there though and make it their first choice for a night out. If I was doing one nice dinner out, I would choose Ortanique over Agua.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: local fish

Most of the conch served in restaurants is not local. It is imported, mainly from the Bahamas conch farms. Fresh local fish include snapper and wahoo.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local fish

In addition to above, Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna (have to ask origin) and Lion Fish are some more local fish you'll see on menus. Not sure if is still any good, but the blackened grouper at Ferdinand's at the Westin was a lunchtime fav of mine, Al Fresco's served a good one as well.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local fish

Conch is not a fish and will most likely not be local. Most restaurants will serve a fresh local fish dish of either grouper or snapper. I prefer wahoo but you can also find fresh local yellowtail, dolphin, and trigger.

5. Re: local fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman