We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google maps

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Google maps

I have come to appreciate the information that Google maps can give - especially [thanks, Smushie] driving/walking distances between specific locations. However, I have come to learn that icons for specific condos/villas/hotels/restaurants/whatever can (and have been) misplaced. For instance, I just looked at a Google map that had both Morritts Resort and the Grand Caymanian Resort in the middle of the island (somewhere along the Mastic Trail).

IMHO, the maps are accurate, but the icons may not be - so beware of this when you research.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google maps

It would be nice if Google obtained some newer imagery for their maps and Google Earth. 2006 was quite a while ago!

Edited: 05 June 2013, 03:31
Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Google maps

Good point, p59teitel!

When I have been looking at Google maps, I noted "Map data@2013 Google" and assumed it meant the "data' was from 2013. After reading your post I looked at a specific location in Old Man Bay (where I knew a new villa had been built sometime in the last year or two) and the lot was bare.

Oh, for the old "real' maps :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google maps

I've noticed that, depending on the resolution, google puts the icons in some odd (and often glitchy) locations but the directions are accurate and zooming in usually fixes the problem.

For what it's worth, it wasn't until a few years ago that I started looking at google maps of West Bay and parts of GT and going, "so that's where that road goes!" or, "now I see what the short cut to the hospital cuts through."

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google maps

Google has the ability for users to "move" the icons to the correct place - I noticed, for example, that the Turtle Farm icon was way south of the actual Turtle Farm. I put in a correction over a month ago, and it's still wrong.

I, too, can vouch for the fact that the satellite images are really old - the Cayman Motor Museum in North West Point wasn't even built when they last did a fly-over...

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Google maps

North Pointe, which had its roof removed by Ivan, is still in a state of repair on the Google maps.

6. Re: Google maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman