We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon vs Discovery Point

Houston
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Avalon vs Discovery Point

We are a family of 4, 2 adults with an 8 and 10 year old and want a nice sandy beach to enjoy. I don't think that is a problem at either of these locations, however, I do keep hearing the "rocky" entry at Discovery Point. Is the entry smooth at Avalon to anyone's knowledge? How do these two properties compare, are they apples to apples or would one consider one a 3 star and one a 4 star? We originally had a hotel booked (Cayman Suites) but I feel the additional space of a condo, ad well as a washer/dryer and a direct beachfront access outweighs any benefit the Suites offered. Can anyone advise on Avalon vs Discovery Point. Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Avalon is considered more of a "luxury" property & it does have beautiful sandy beach with easy entry. I *think* Avalon is considered to be the northern most condo property in the "Central SMB" area. Avalon is always on our short list for vacation rental:-) If you go to Avalon website you can access guest reviews and particulars for each unit.

Houston
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Thank you, I thought that would be the best choice for us. Went ahead with Avalon, wanted to be slightly removed but no so far away and was definitely glad to hear of sandy entry. Thank you!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

"Slightly removed" describes Avalon perfectly! You will want a car for going to and from Foster's grocery store at Strand Shopping Center, but will be able to walk to restaurants in the area. Sidewalk along West Bay Rd runs to the end of Avalon property....my morning walks bring me there along the street and Avalon is usually end point of my beachfront afternoon walks:-). It's a short stroll from Avalon to the Westin and points south....either via sidewalk or sand:-). Good to know if you opt to use Red Sail @ Westin for water activities.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Avalon over Discovery Point, a wise choice. The beach is fabulous and it is a more upscale property than Discovery Point without being one of the new, higher rising complexes. If available, ask for a ground floor unit so you can step right from the patio to the beach. You won't be disappointed.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Avalon is lovely. Quiet, beautiful beach that you typically have to yourself. I have stayed in two different units, and agree ground floor is best.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
740 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

The Avalon is a great property. It depends on your budget. because Discovery Point is a nice place to stay. If the difference in price is not much, the Avalon's beach is wonderful.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Great choice. Depending on the time of the year you'll have 300 feet of gorgeous beach virtually to yourself. That's why my keester is firmly planted 50 feet further north of the Avalon for at least a little while each day, provided it isn't monsoon season.

Speaking of, what the heck was that today? I was swooping my better half from the airport today right when the rain hit and it rained so hard for about 15 minutes that it filled the cup holder in between the seats with about an inch of water in the 40 seconds it took me to get out, open the trunk and jump back in. And that was under the awning! I thought some of the rain showers 2 weeks ago were heavy at times but sheesh!

Houston
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

Thank you ALL for the feedback. We booked a 1st floor, it did appear that the patios would be ideal for us with 2 kiddos to walk out, and back in 100 times during a beach day. We are thrilled and I am grateful to the experts for always providing excellent feedback to help with trip planning. Thanks again!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

You are going to be most delighted with choosing Avalon. We also really like the "in and out" convenience of ground floor condos....great for both kids and adults:-)

10. Re: Avalon vs Discovery Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:17