We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One bit of advice on driving

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
One bit of advice on driving

Been here since Wednesday & realized that the speed limit signs don't really mean anything. :). But please be courteous, if you want to go the speed limit, pull over and let the line of cars behind you pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One bit of advice on driving

One can hope. Though I can say the same about moving over with regards to most States I've driven through, the inside lane isn't for people doing the speed limit or less. Luckily there aren't too many places you can spend a while trapped behind a crawler in Cayman

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One bit of advice on driving

"the speed limit signs don't really mean anything"

Um, the posted speed limit is the speed limit and, like everywhere else in the world, some people speed. That said, most people drive pretty close to the posted speed limit so if you feel as though everyone is flying past you on the road, I would suggest double checking the speedometer on you vehicle. If the steering wheel is on the right, there's a good chance it's in kmph not mph (i.e. you've been driving 26 in a 40).

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One bit of advice on driving

When you are going 20mpr and there's a line of cars behind you, pull over and let them pass. Going 20mpr for 5 miles (over to the East side) does seem like a lifetime.

Our car has the steering wheel on the left and our odometer is in MPR, not KPH, so the car in front of us was going 20mpr.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One bit of advice on driving

Gotcha. Why didn't you just pass then?

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One bit of advice on driving

Good question! I'm not familiar with the roads & they curve a lot. It seemed every time I thought about it a on coming car came, so I decided to just tough it out. On vacation, no problem. Felt more bad for the line of cars behind me. But maybe we were all tourists & it didn't bother anyone:)

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One bit of advice on driving

takemeaway23,

Your experience reminds me of my first few visits and getting stuck behind a slow poke. I was a bit too timid to pass for the reasons you mention, plus the fact I was not sure the engine in my rental car had enough get up and go to get the job done.

7. Re: One bit of advice on driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman