We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving

B R
Westfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Topic
driving

We are hoping to stay at Sea Lodges on the North Side and a rental car has been recommended. Is one really necessary as we are hesitant about driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving

If you are staying on North Side, you will definitely need a rental car. That said, driving on the left is really not a big deal for most people.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving

Without question you will need a car. Look into McCurley's rentals. They'll pick you up at the airport and drive you out to the Sea Lodges, stopping at a grocery along the way. You'll have your car waiting for you. You can then to drive on the quite side of the island without to much worry, other than staying on the left. They will also drive you back to the airport.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147365-d1…

Beth Ann's (BA) contact info:

mccurley@candw.ky

345-947-9626

345-916-0925 (cell)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving

I think you will find that as long as your steering wheel is also on the "wrong" side, then your instincts will be the same and not that bad at all. If you have an option, make sure you rent a car that is right hand drive and not left hand drive. It is too easy to forget if you are sitting in a car with the steering wheel on the left like it is in the US!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving

If you use mccurleys and stick around East End, Northside and Rum Point you won't hit any traffic at all so the driving would be very easy. Then if you feel more comfortable, you could venture out further.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving

Driving on the correct side of the road is a distinct and rare pleasure for many. It's also easy since the traffic is light and speeds are low. The bigger culture shock may be the tighter 'European style' parking spaces at some places, very different to most you find in the US where one could conceivably park sideways

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving

Excellent points Cayman I and Saj. I agree with the rest of the folks...rent a car...at least for a few days. It will take you about an hour or so to get used to it.

BTW, you'll also find yourself turning on the windshield wipers instead of the directional.

Concentrate on rotaries aka roundabouts as well. Otherwise you'll be fine. And if you want to mitigate any possible accident charges, get the comprehensive insurance for peace of mind.

Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving

I was also hesitate about driving on the left side, but after 1 day you get use to it. The fastest speed limit is 45, and most of the roads are one lane. I have to say that I would rather have the steering wheel on the left side, because everything is familiar and you don't have to worry about things being opposite. It made me more comfortable and this way I only had to concentrate on driving.

We stayed in Bodden Town, south side, and found ourselves going into town or Rum point area every day. The more driving you do the more comfortable you will become. I have to say, when I got home, it felt weird driving on the right.

One tip, when you want to go 20 in a 45 mph speed zone, and there is a line of cars behind you, just pull over and let them pass. We were behind rental cars, more than once, that didn't care that they had 10 cars behind them that would of liked to go the speed limit.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving

I think some rental car drivers are not aware that the speed limits are in MPH, not KPH, so if they are watching the speedometer for 45 KPH, rather than 45 MPH, they will of course be going well below the speed limit.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving

The other thing to give you some comfort is that all of the rental cars have white license plates which make them very easy to spot. People here know to watch out for the white plates. I give the white plates lots of space and a wide berth when I see them! Especially on the roundabouts.

10. Re: driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman