We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental with Car Seat.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental with Car Seat.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with renting a car seat from one of the rental companies near the airport? We're traveling with our 14 month old and plan to rent a car and car seat and I was wondering about the condition/quality of the car seats that the rental agencies offer. Thanks in advance!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,449 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

I have never used a rented car seat in any country and have traveled a reasonable amount. My kids are grown up now and maybe things have changed, but we used brought our car seats on the plane, they go in the hold as a carry on item and were great in the car and also in places where high chairs and boosters were not available. I did this in England, France and all over the United States. I would definitely do it travelling to a small island. How is your little one getting to and from the airport in NY? Will you have your seat with you anyway? Can you use it on the plane?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

We rented a booster for our daughter the last two years from Avis (Cico?), and we were impressed with how clean they were. I've travelled with a full-size car seat before and found it to be a major pain.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
71 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

Avis had them and they were reasonable and looked clean.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

If you decide to get one thru the rental agency,I would be asking if there is someone at the rental agency who knows how to properly install the car seat, as it may be a model/brand you are unfamiliar with . Have a friend (ex-trooper) who was certified to install car seats. She frequently indicated that people would be shocked at how many people don't know how to install the seats properly, even on the ones they use on a daily basis. Just a thought.

Hillsville, Virginia
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

We just returned and Marshall's gave us a carseat and a booster seat complimentary to use while we were there with our rental. Both were clean and in excellent condition and they installed them for us without us even having to ask. The car seat was for a 17 month old and the booster for a 5 yr old

Minnesota
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

Where is Marshall's by?

Kansas
Level Contributor
622 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

As you exit the airport terminal, turn left (West) and follow the sidewalk to the end of the block. Cross the street in the crosswalk and there is a small strip of shops in 2 buildings arranged in an 'L' with parking in front. Marshall's is in the first building you reach and is very easy to locate. FWIW, I received a discount for reserving online but I was still able to email several times with specific questions and they responded promptly. We were extremely pleased with the service we received from Marshall's.

8. Re: Car Rental with Car Seat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 07:23